NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Schemes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Poll Question: Did you use a traditional rhyming scheme & meter?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [26.15%]
5 [7.69%]
5 [7.69%]
16 [24.62%]
7 [10.77%]
9 [13.85%]
6 [9.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 8:52am
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

Originally posted by Lulumacmac Lulumacmac wrote:

Originally posted by Frey_a Frey_a wrote:

When I got my first beta feedback I had to google meter and that’s where I learned the basic terms - after the poem was written LOL 

I wish we could submit it as a voice recording though, I found it really hard figuring out how to set it out so readers got the same cadence as I had.

Although you can’t submit as a voice recording, you can link to a recording as well as your story if you share once Forums open. Another forum user did this for her rhyming 250 (I think) and was really effective. When I read my FF I had a rhythm in my head that worked well for the story but not sure it translated to others readers, and same with this new Rhyming story, some beta feedback was on extra beats etc but to me it mostly sounded right. It is really interesting how the sound/rhythm of a rhyming story can change from reader to reader and potentially completely alter the experience of it!

I will definitely do this. I already have to record for a Fiverr order today, so I'll do my tale at the same time. Thanks so much for this!

I would but have a full on cold and don’t think anyone needs to hear my bunged up voice! 😂 It will be lovely to put a voice to you and other forum users though 👏
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
thomasjames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thomasjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 9:45am
I’m kinda worried that my rhyme scheme is too simple.

It starts with AA, then has 11 sets of AABB, and back to AA at the end. I’m not even gonna try to use the terms because I’d probably fail LOL 

Each line has 14 or 15 syllables and flows well, easily read with a rhythm I think is obvious (and my readers have said the same). 

I’ve read that AABB can be cheesy, and I’ve done a ghost story, so I hope that isn’t the case! 

We shall see once I can post it :)
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:33am
Originally posted by thomasjames thomasjames wrote:

It starts with AA, then has 11 sets of AABB, and back to AA at the end. I’m not even gonna try to use the terms because I’d probably fail LOL 

Each line has 14 or 15 syllables and flows well, easily read with a rhythm I think is obvious (and my readers have said the same). 

I’ve read that AABB can be cheesy, and I’ve done a ghost story, so I hope that isn’t the case! 

I don't think it's too simple, and the rhyming part is judged based on how satisfying it feels to the judges not how complex it is or whether it follows traditional structure. If keeping it simple helps you to focus on the narrative I think that's perfectly fine. Mine is very simple too, and sci-fi. But I focused on telling a story, developing a character and creating a satisfying plot twist. 

I'll look out for yours when the forum opens! 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:58am
I'm on a bit of a Lin-Manuel Miranda kick recently so I did AAAABB CCCCBB DDDDEE FFFFEE, etc.

At least double rhymes in every line ;) I didn't go for a particularly intentional meter though 
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
thomasjames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thomasjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:01am
Originally posted by UK5AM UK5AM wrote:

Originally posted by thomasjames thomasjames wrote:

I don't think it's too simple, and the rhyming part is judged based on how satisfying it feels to the judges not how complex it is or whether it follows traditional structure. If keeping it simple helps you to focus on the narrative I think that's perfectly fine. Mine is very simple too, and sci-fi. But I focused on telling a story, developing a character and creating a satisfying plot twist. 

I'll look out for yours when the forum opens! 

Aye that's true, thank you. 

Let me know once you've uploaded yours! Smile
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I'm on a bit of a Lin-Manuel Miranda kick recently so I did AAAABB CCCCBB DDDDEE FFFFEE, etc.

At least double rhymes in every line ;) I didn't go for a particularly intentional meter though 

Oooh I'm keen to read this one! I bet you did not throw away your shot. ;) I had Hamilton on repeat last week - the best kind of rhyming research.
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Oooh I'm keen to read this one! I bet you did not throw away your shot. ;) I had Hamilton on repeat last week - the best kind of rhyming research.

Ahh thanks!! That's kind of you :) I'm diving into my FF return reads first, but I can't wait to read yours <3 The title is BRILLIANT! I love double-entendre bilingual titles like that (speaking of LMM, the pun in this title gives me "The Family Madrigal"-cleverness vibes)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Vann View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 12:15pm
not sure what you call this but i used it for the rhyming story challenge. Anyone know what this is called?
Roughly, it is:

iamb iamb iamb A iamb iamb iamb A
iamb B iamb B iamb iamb iamb iamb C
iamb iamb iamb D iamb iamb iamb D
iamb E iamb E iamb iamb iamb iamb C  
Anthea123 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

I mainly went AABBCC etc. I wrote in four line stanzas for the most part and then reorganised the lines as paragraphs. I read aloud many times to hear what it sounded like. Most lines were ten-ish syllables, some went to twelve-ish, and a few were shorter. I did look up rhyming schemes beforehand and then let go of what I’d read telling myself this was a rhyming story.

This is almost exactly what I did as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910