NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story 2022: Progress Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curryfriedrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:55am
Originally posted by VaughnieM VaughnieM wrote:

I wrote the first draft on Saturday. Romance was one of my nightmare genre’s but actually it was quite easy, the prompts of Last chance and rejection worked well and the idea came quickly. Tweaked the metre on Sunday and submitted then. However, just had another tweak and added a couple more stanza’s to take out a bit of a story gap as I had the words to play with.so now submitted 582 words. Hopefully, the British pronunciations work with American pronunciations to help the rhyme. 
My biggest concern is that it is perhaps a little more tell than show, but for a romance I’m pretty happy with it.
I also got romance and had the exact same issue with telling not showing.. I blamed it on the fact I pulled romance along with the fact it needed to rhyme. I’m new at writing and don’t even read romance nonetheless write it so overall I think I did as well as I could. Best of luck to you!
elemem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elemem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:37am
OMG...I'm struggling SO HARD with this one. 

I thought I'd find it simpler because my mind tends to naturally compose in rhymes. 

I have an idea but I just can't get it to come together (there's a lot going on in my life).

Praying for a hit of inspiration and a stream of consciousness to come soon! Ouch
"Life takes guts. I love your guts." ~elemem @insidestoriesTO
Mahunny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:50am
Just submitted bang on 600 words. I’m a little worried that there is a lot going on in the story, but I have managed to improve it over the last few days by pulling out unnecessary detail and using the space to join the elements of the story better. 
Honestly I’m too scared to send it to unknown beta readers, I’ve never done this before and I have no idea what standard the rest of you are all going to churn out, so I fear that if I send to a beta reader I’m going to become acutely aware how inexperienced I am. But I have sent it around a few family members who have helped me tweak it here and there and it’s made a real difference.
Anthea123 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by sfuji sfuji wrote:

I'm not going to lie --  I've been absolutely paralyzed. I was ready for any genre (even the dreaded HS or PS) and when I pulled horror I recoiled and froze. For an unknown inexplicable reason, horror and rhyming doesn't feel like a natural fit and my writer brain has revolted. Typically when assignments have been doled out an idea pops (or multiple that I slowly whittle away) and for these past three days, nada. Zip. Just blank, and silent. Except for the mantra I keep internally muttering "I will submit. I will submit. I will submit."

Have a crumb of something that arose this morning and I'm committed to sit in front of my computer today to write something, anything...

This was me exactly...horror and rhyming do not go together for me...I finally have a first draft-ish, will definitely be looking for betas tomorrow. This was the hardest challenge I've ever done, for sure.
Anthea123 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by hungrywriter hungrywriter wrote:

I just finished my fourth draft, third rhyme scheme, and it's.... absolutely nothing special. 

(Except Poe's The Raven is totally relatable now. I totally get the slip into madness while trying to write a rhyming horror story...)

This...rhyming (not my thing) and horror (not my thing)...I have a first draft now so that's something I'm proud of at least
VaughnieM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaughnieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 10:23am
Thanks. Good luck to you too. 
CreativeByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CreativeByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:23pm
I just wrote the darn thing in two hours and turned it in. I’m planning my own wedding (coming up VERY soon!) and dealing with some serious medical issues so I just incorporated both topics into my story rhymes and called it therapy. It’s pretty bad, okay it’s actually horrific … but since my genre is horror, I’m deeming that a good thing. Ugh. 
Stephanie
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-g25-supersize-surprise_topic45236.html
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by CreativeByNight CreativeByNight wrote:

I just wrote the darn thing in two hours and turned it in. I’m planning my own wedding (coming up VERY soon!) and dealing with some serious medical issues so I just incorporated both topics into my story rhymes and called it therapy. It’s pretty bad, okay it’s actually horrific … but since my genre is horror, I’m deeming that a good thing. Ugh. 

Now I'm DYING to read your story! LOL. Congrats on getting it done and out of your hair so you can focus on your priorities!
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:45pm
I finally have a title, and synopsis that rhymes. I also have an ending hurrah! So naturally the beginning has fallen apart LOL this is genuinely the contest where I am most looking forward to reading the forum entries, going to be so much fun. I don't think anyone from my group (81) has posted so far, but any other sci-fi rhymers out there? How are you getting on?
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:28pm
I have Fantasy or Fairy Tale/gullible/sleepy.  It's a slog.  At this point I'd rather turn into a frog.
FF22R1: Stories

SS22R3: Mystery
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>