NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Challenge Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhyming Challenge Question
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 7:55pm
OK so im not really sure if this is the right place to post this or not but can someone tell me exactly how we are supposed to use the theme in this contest? 

Do i just mention that this is what the person is doing? or is there more to it? 

I read the original stuff posted on the competition page but still didn't understand if any one had any tips that would be great. 

Thank you in Advance
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:06am
Hi, what theme did you get? I imagine a few of us could give examples of how to use it. I don't think they wrote hard rules for theme. 
I just reread the theme description and it's quite loose. Let us know what your theme is and maybe we could give a few examples of a story with that theme. Would that help?
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Hi, what theme did you get? I imagine a few of us could give examples of how to use it. I don't think they wrote hard rules for theme. 
I just reread the theme description and it's quite loose. Let us know what your theme is and maybe we could give a few examples of a story with that theme. Would that help?

Hi, I got safekeeping as my theme and I'm not really sure how to work it in like I do I just mention it or does it need to be the main plotline ?
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:02pm
It doesn't need to be mentioned but the act of safekeeping should be prominent. 
It's very open if you don't take it literally. If I'm babysitting, I'm safekeeping. Same thing if a friend gives me her cat while she's moving. A pawn shop owner has to safekeep all that jewellery and such for when the people come back for it. An heirloom from someone who passed away is in safekeeping for the next generation, same for family records or photos.

If you got comedy or crime caper, you could literally have someone guarding safes or keeping and losing the combination for a safe they stole?

A parent trying to keep cookies safe from the neighbour's kids, or a raccoon.
A person trying to keep a secret like who won the bakeoff or who got promoted to chief inspector?
Somebody or something has to keep something safe OR somebody or something is trying to TAKE something (or someone) who is being kept safe?

The judges usually like it when you find a unique way to use the prompts so maybe my ideas will give you a start on different ways to stretch the idea of keeping something safe.
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

It doesn't need to be mentioned but the act of safekeeping should be prominent. 
It's very open if you don't take it literally. If I'm babysitting, I'm safekeeping. Same thing if a friend gives me her cat while she's moving. A pawn shop owner has to safekeep all that jewellery and such for when the people come back for it. An heirloom from someone who passed away is in safekeeping for the next generation, same for family records or photos.

If you got comedy or crime caper, you could literally have someone guarding safes or keeping and losing the combination for a safe they stole?

A parent trying to keep cookies safe from the neighbour's kids, or a raccoon.
A person trying to keep a secret like who won the bakeoff or who got promoted to chief inspector?
Somebody or something has to keep something safe OR somebody or something is trying to TAKE something (or someone) who is being kept safe?

The judges usually like it when you find a unique way to use the prompts so maybe my ideas will give you a start on different ways to stretch the idea of keeping something safe.

That does help thank you so much I got ghost story and I've really been struggling I've scrapped so many ideas 
Newfiegal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newfiegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:32am
Hi,

I got fame as the theme and I am really struggling with how to keep it going in the story. I don't want to make my character a famous person, if that makes sense. 
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Newfiegal Newfiegal wrote:

Hi,

I got fame as the theme and I am really struggling with how to keep it going in the story. I don't want to make my character a famous person, if that makes sense. 

Sorry if all this has occurred to you already, but a couple of thoughts:

You could go for someone who's driven by the desire for fame, or someone who becomes accidentally (in)famous (this doesn't have to be globally famous, it could just be someone who becomes the centre of attention in their school or community for some reason). Or a close friend of someone who is famous - they could either be jealous, or they could be the witness as the friend is brought low by their fame. Or, further outside the box, something around a production of the musical Fame?
 Post Reply Post Reply