NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Challenge: Notes and Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:22pm
 This is my 1st entanglement with NYCM, so your information is useful & appreciated.  Where are these details on the site?  Did not notice directions toward such location.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Skyflight Skyflight wrote:

This is my 1st entanglement with NYCM, so your information is useful & appreciated.  Where are these details on the site?  Did not notice directions toward such location.

You need to click quote so we know who you're replying to. Which details are you looking for?
Skyflight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:33pm
Newer 
Than you are

That's true; 
I joined 9/22.  

I think both of the above couplets(?) qualify as rhyming. What do you think? 
Skyflight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:48pm
Counted my syllables - yup, 10,11,12...those numbers.  
Had the same concern about sing-song-ish-ness, then decided to hear it as Primitive Rap - short lines really punching the rhymes. 
 I figure write whatever I can now, and adjust later. Now if I can get beyond the first 4 lines before Friday...
Good luck, all
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:38pm

On the main NYCM site, each contest has its own page with the basic rundown as well as a link to the official rules. 
bychelsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bychelsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:57pm
Hi! This is my first NYCM challenge and I'm super excited and nervous. I already submitted mine and it clocked in at only 350 words—I'm slightly worried about that now after reading comments about length. The pacing felt right and the amount of details I gave felt right as well. I'm also wondering HOW strict they are on subgenres? For instance if your genre is fantasy and you have fantasy elements but it's very horror-leaning, will they dock you for that?

Also I'm curious how everyone wrote their verse—I used iambic pentameter (sounds weird but it makes a lot of sense for my brain) but I'm curious what other people did!
Molsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:16pm
I went iambic too. My genre is drama, but it definitely comes off a bit creepier that I originally thought with the sing-songy element to the verse, and I love it. I've had two readers so far and they both came away giving me the side-eye so I'm going to assume their discomfort is a good sign.

This is my first challenge -  I do not know why this is the one that finally drew me in but here we are!
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by bychelsd bychelsd wrote:

Hi! This is my first NYCM challenge and I'm super excited and nervous. I already submitted mine and it clocked in at only 350 words—I'm slightly worried about that now after reading comments about length. The pacing felt right and the amount of details I gave felt right as well. I'm also wondering HOW strict they are on subgenres? For instance if your genre is fantasy and you have fantasy elements but it's very horror-leaning, will they dock you for that?

Also I'm curious how everyone wrote their verse—I used iambic pentameter (sounds weird but it makes a lot of sense for my brain) but I'm curious what other people did!

Hi there, welcome to NYCM!!

I think you're okay re: genre as long as there are fantasy elements throughout!

Re: word count, a great way to know whether your story is complete while being under count is to sign up for the beta process! I've did relatively well when I submitted a story that was 20% under count (6th place when top 5 advance), but if I'd used those extra words to tighten my story, I may have actually advanced! Using every word definitely isn't necessary, but getting other folks' eyes on your story to make sure it feels complete can definitely help! https://forums.nycmidnight.com/rhyming-story-r1-beta-sheet_topic49692.html

Edited by CamsynClair - 28 Sep 2022 at 3:59pm
Patagonia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patagonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:31pm

Newer 
Than you are

That's true; 
I joined 9/22.  

I think both of the above couplets(?) qualify as rhyming. What do you think? 

I think the second one rhymes, but I'm not getting a good rhyme from the first pair.
JeanetteMarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanetteMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:30pm
Submitted my story yesterday!

MF100, R1, G39
Real Life Rom-Com
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-gr39-romantic-comedy-breaking-vase-very_topic53172.htm

RSR1,G5 HM1
Ten Minutes to the End of the World
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>