NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story R1 Assignments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Jamesarkell Jamesarkell wrote:

Originally posted by CoachLisaB CoachLisaB wrote:

When I started writing mine from the perspective of a ten-year-old, rhyming became much easier. LOL.

I have a dog narrating my story for the same reason!

LOL We really shouldn't give away our secret and make it easier for everyone else! 
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:11am
Originally posted by nikolaki nikolaki wrote:

I kind of joined this late. I got the lovely Group 55 

Genre: Fantasy and/or Fairy Tale
Theme: Confidential 
Emotion: Free

I’m kind of curious if they define the emotions. I am a bit stuck on free and don’t want to royally screw it up. 

Hey heatmate! I enjoyed these prompts. Looking forward to reading some others post-deadline. :) 
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:18am
Nice to see there are a few other 55ers on the forum!

Group 55
Fairytale/fantasy - confidential - free

I loved these prompts when I got them, and am pretty happy with the story I came up with. Time for a final polish and will hopefully submit tomorrow. 
hungrywriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungrywriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by LZY LZY wrote:

Group 28
Historical fiction
Motherhood
Acceptance

I love this assignment and I'm having so much fun with it

I'm insanely envious of these prompts! Would love to read your take once we can post on the forums!
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Alyxbee Alyxbee wrote:

Originally posted by lousie lousie wrote:

Originally posted by AMOSD AMOSD wrote:

Dude, you should delete this before you get disqualified…

Well, you made me go and read all the FAQS, and I found a paragraph where it says you can't use existing stories. I assume this means not using published or public stories that have already been submitted before or put up on websites, social media etc otherwise how can they police what has been written as notes, ideas or people's private collections? Everyone has bits and pieces of writing they can tweak and brush up in a competition. But it isn't a story until it's been told, right? I hope this rule is more to do with fulfilling the prompts as this is generally difficult with a pre-written story. But to be safe, let it be known that I am submitting a new story I started yesterday instead. It is also a fairytale about worry and prophecy.

Thanks for the heads up Star

I do see you are working on somethihng you started, but I thought it might help to know they absolutely have rules that you can't use pre-existing stories. Not just unpublished ones. 

" 10. Genre, Theme, and Emotion Assignment – In each Round, writers are assigned a Genre, Theme, and Emotion assignment for their stories. All stories must be created within the competition periods (listed below in paragraph #16) and must include the Genre, Theme, and Emotion assignment." 

Of course they obviously can't sift through all of our notes and stories and computers to make sure we haven't done this, but we operate in good faith that everyone else is following this rule.   That's the challenge. We all have the exact same time period to figure it all out and edit.

Yuppp Aly is right on. I think it's acceptable to use preexisting characters or story *concepts*. (I'm sure most of us go digging through old idea notebooks when those prompts really stump us!) However, all actual words of narrative must be written during the contest period. <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Originally posted by Kali42 Kali42 wrote:

Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Originally posted by Kali42 Kali42 wrote:

This challenge is absolutely terrifying!

Group 72

Fairytale/Fantasy
Defection
Perplexed

Rhyming is HARD! I was really hoping to find a way to rhyme a regular story but nooooo...my brain couldnt conjure anything. So here I am...writing something that resembles a poem. 

I am really fond of my prompts. They'd be absolutely perfect for me if it was a different challenge....

I initially read that 'defection' as 'defecation'.

So did I LOL I went down a whole rabbit hole of wondering if i could swear...and being excited about all the words that rhymed with sh!t...and the Suess-esque possiblities that would provide...
Then I reread it Pinch

Please write that story anyway! Regard it as practice for round two.

*speaking in Butthead's voice* Practice for number two, *heh heh heh heh heh*

Edited by TeeHi - 29 Sep 2022 at 5:37pm
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Well, you made me go and read all the FAQS, and I found a paragraph where it says you can't use existing stories. I assume this means not using published or public stories that have already been submitted before or put up on websites, social media etc otherwise how can they police what has been written as notes, ideas or people's private collections? Everyone has bits and pieces of writing they can tweak and brush up in a competition. But it isn't a story until it's been told, right? I hope this rule is more to do with fulfilling the prompts as this is generally difficult with a pre-written story. But to be safe, let it be known that I am submitting a new story I started yesterday instead. It is also a fairytale about worry and prophecy.

I do see you are working on somethihng you started, but I thought it might help to know they absolutely have rules that you can't use pre-existing stories. Not just unpublished ones. 

" 10. Genre, Theme, and Emotion Assignment – In each Round, writers are assigned a Genre, Theme, and Emotion assignment for their stories. All stories must be created within the competition periods (listed below in paragraph #16) and must include the Genre, Theme, and Emotion assignment." 

Of course they obviously can't sift through all of our notes and stories and computers to make sure we haven't done this, but we operate in good faith that everyone else is following this rule.   That's the challenge. We all have the exact same time period to figure it all out and edit.

Yuppp Aly is right on. I think it's acceptable to use preexisting characters or story *concepts*. (I'm sure most of us go digging through old idea notebooks when those prompts really stump us!) However, all actual words of narrative must be written during the contest period. <3

I'm pretty sure Lousie mentioned in a follow up note he's writing a whole new story for this contest. So we can probably all stop worrying about this :)

Edited by SumFemina - 29 Sep 2022 at 5:50pm
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I'm pretty sure Lousie mentioned in a follow up note he's writing a whole new story for this contest. So we can probably all stop worrying about this :)

They did, and thats why I menntioned that new story as well. 

I do think it was worth making sure they understood the rule, and why people were shocked to begin with! I don't think its all that much of a problem to discuss these things as other people may also not have seen it. :)
JeanetteMarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanetteMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:41pm
Hello group 5 mate! You're the first I've come across.
Best of luck with our suspense-countdown-out of control
MF100, R1, G39
Real Life Rom-Com
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-gr39-romantic-comedy-breaking-vase-very_topic53172.htm

RSR1,G5 HM1
Ten Minutes to the End of the World
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:13am
Ok.  I have been so busy I forgot to post here!  I'm in Gr 32 | Romance | Round Trip | Rushed

This has been the hardest thing ever!  I will have something to turn in, thankfully.  I always do my homework. Lol.  But... yeah. I don't think this is my thing.  I do, however, look forward to reading the work of more accomplished poetic narrators than I.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>