NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhyming Story R1 Assignments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Havoc27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm
I thought the same at first! But there’s plenty to go off of, just gotta work the old noggin! We’re all here because we love writing, so any challenge is welcome. Good luck!

Edited by Havoc27 - 25 Sep 2022 at 12:10pm
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by MichaelOwens MichaelOwens wrote:

This is just funny. I'm in 44, too, and I'm with cford. I love our prompt! :-)

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Group: 44

Genre: Ghost Story

Theme: Companionship

Emotion: Distant

Feeling pretty meh right now. We'll see.

Originally posted by cford cford wrote:

I'm thinking I lucked out with prompts that naturally go together.

Group 44
Ghost Story
Theme - Companionship
Emotion - Distant

Good Luck everyone, it's going to be an interesting week!

When prompts go together too well, I'm certain every idea that comes to me will also have occurred to everyone else in the group. The only other time I've ever gotten Ghost, three people in my group wrote very similar stories. Not similar to mine, but to each other's. A couple of them did OK in the scoring, as I recall, but I think we all kind of hate it when the "oh crap, this is so much like mine!" thing happens.

At the moment, there is no danger of it happening to me in this comp because this fear has really gotten hold of me and I currently don't have squat. Cry
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by LaurenDee LaurenDee wrote:

Hello Fellow Writers!

GROUP: 71
GENRE: Historical Fiction
THEME: Trust 
EMOTION: Inspired

I have no idea how to write a Historical Fiction poem...any reading recommendations? haha 

My Last Duchess? Maybe. (Robert Browning)
Chuck1966 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:25pm

GROUP: 71
GENRE: Historical Fiction
THEME: Trust 
EMOTION: Inspired

I've done some (sort of) historical plays, but I have worried much about details.  I mean, if Shakespeare had clocks in ancient Rome and cannon in 10th century or so Denmark, I'm not going to worry too much about minor anachronisms either.  But the thought of doing that with this had me all tied up.  Got it going this evening though.
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -- C.S. Lewis
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Chuck1966 Chuck1966 wrote:

I mean, if Shakespeare had clocks in ancient Rome and cannon in 10th century or so Denmark, I'm not going to worry too much about minor anachronisms either.  But the thought of doing that with this had me all tied up.  Got it going this evening though.

Good point! My Hist Fic anchor parts of the story probably took place over a couple of years, not all at once, but I don't think any of the judges are going to Google the exact dates of things I wrote about and I think I made it all vague enough!
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Chuck1966 Chuck1966 wrote:

I mean, if Shakespeare had clocks in ancient Rome and cannon in 10th century or so Denmark, I'm not going to worry too much about minor anachronisms either.  But the thought of doing that with this had me all tied up.  Got it going this evening though.

I don't think the judges are going to be looking up specific dates about things unless you're super specific. My anchor points of the story all took place within a couple years of the protagonist's life and I kept her recounting of them vague on purpose!
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by KristaJH KristaJH wrote:

I got group 83 with romance-weather-nauseated. 

I rather like my prompts but my story is leaning more towards rekindling love than finding love…and the definition on the website has it as falling in love. Not sure if I’ll get dinged on that. I usually wouldn’t be too worried but I had a story in a previous completion get seriously dinged for not quite meeting the theme overcoming a phobia because no one overcame anything even though a character was working on overcoming a phobia. Now I’m paranoid! Lol Anyone who had romance before have advice? 

Falling in love all over again is still falling in love...
D.Alexandrou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.Alexandrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:29am
Rom Com
Fulfilment
Skeptical

I have 681 words, and now I must cull. Or maybe "sculpt" is a better word.
I hate having great ideas that need 15% more words than I'm allowed. 

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it
Molsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Molsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:34pm
Hey all. Complete newbie here.

I pulled group 20:
Drama
Greed
Confidence

At first I was not thrilled - a dramatic rhyming story feels a bit teenage angsty to me. But then I had a weird idea and now it's more of a drama tinged with horror and grief? 

Anyway, I am stuck on one line but am otherwise done - I think. Anyone else in group 20?
Kali42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kali42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:22am
This challenge is absolutely terrifying!

Group 72

Fairytale/Fantasy
Defection
Perplexed

Rhyming is HARD! I was really hoping to find a way to rhyme a regular story but nooooo...my brain couldnt conjure anything. So here I am...writing something that resembles a poem. 

I am really fond of my prompts. They'd be absolutely perfect for me if it was a different challenge....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>