NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting for MF100 final results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:35pm
CamsynClair I adored your microfic and can’t wait until you rock your SLAM skills ( I know you said you’re working on intonation etc, but I imagine you are pretty great already). I think you have an excellent chance.

Granted there were a lot of great pieces, but don’t count yourself out.

CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by mvwrite mvwrite wrote:

CamsynClair I adored your microfic and can’t wait until you rock your SLAM skills ( I know you said you’re working on intonation etc, but I imagine you are pretty great already). I think you have an excellent chance.

Granted there were a lot of great pieces, but don’t count yourself out.

Ah wow, thank you so much!! Heart
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 5:38pm
I am wearing out that refresh button! I don't expect to place, but it would such a sweet surprise to be wrong. 

Either way, I can't wait to see the results and read the winning entry! I've enjoyed all the stories that have been posted here. I wish more people shared on the forums so we could read them all! I would at least love to read all the ones that place each round.

Good luck everyone! I hope the winner is here on the forums. :)
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by CHartman CHartman wrote:

Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

What is there to worry about? The other 215 of you don't stand a chance! LOL

But seriously, I wrote horror. That's not going to cut it in a final. I know it's officially an 'open' genre, but from what I've seen in the past they want stories with some depth and meaning. Yes you can get away with fantasy or sci-fi or comedy, but it needs to have that something to it. Horror or rom-com or romance - you don't see those ranking in finals.

So there's not much for me to stress about. And the most ironic thing of all is I've never written horror in my life before. But that was the story I had on the day.

Don't sell yourself short - your final story was one of my favourites of the competition - and I usually shy away from reading horror.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. To be clear, I like my story too - although it might have done better with 250 words. (Originally I wanted him to reminisce to himself about killing her sister, when he had a different name.) I just don't think it's what the judges look for.

Best of luck to everyone. Can't be long now!
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:19pm
Eek so exciting!! I read so many amazing stories this round and no matter who makes the list we should all be proud to have made it this far :) 

Side note - why is it that every junk email provider on the planet has decided today is the day to spam my inbox? I’m having a mini heart attack every 5 minutes just because That Shop I Went To 5 Years Ago is having a spontaneous sale Confused
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
FireflyKaylee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:49am
Well, I didn't place or get an HM. Not gonna lie, bit gutted as really rated my story.

Congrats to those who did do well. 
riquigley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riquigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:56am
Anyone know if they send out judge's feedback after the final round?
100 Word Final G85:We Are Lifted
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:11am
Originally posted by riquigley riquigley wrote:

Anyone know if they send out judge's feedback after the final round?

They do send out feedback, and if I remember right there’s usually a few extra judges compared to the earlier rounds. The feedback emails will probably be sent sometime over the next 24 hrs or so :)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

Well, I didn't place or get an HM. Not gonna lie, bit gutted as really rated my story.

I'm feeling a bit of the same here, so you're not alone! I hope the feedback was helpful--mine showed me exactly where I went wrong, but it's still tough to swallow when you come to the table with your best, but it ends up missing the mark. 

Regardless, your story is fantastic! Sometimes I have to remind myself that the judges are just 5 people out of a pool of many, and 5 different judges may have chosen different stories in the top 10/20. Far easier said than done to think about that when the disappointment hits, though Heart
FireflyKaylee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:25am
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

I'm feeling a bit of the same here, so you're not alone! I hope the feedback was helpful--mine showed me exactly where I went wrong, but it's still tough to swallow when you come to the table with your best, but it ends up missing the mark. 

Regardless, your story is fantastic! Sometimes I have to remind myself that the judges are just 5 people out of a pool of many, and 5 different judges may have chosen different stories in the top 10/20. Far easier said than done to think about that when the disappointment hits, though Heart

Thank you! Yours was great too, was very surprised to see you not placing.

Yes, remembering that they are just 5 people is helpful. I got decent feedback from 3 judges, and pretty useless from 2 but that's the nature of these competitions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>