NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what story genres could work in rhyme?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BethBirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what story genres could work in rhyme?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:59am
The way I see it most story styles could work being told out in verse, rather than prose. Can you think any that would not?
this writer defines herself as she/her and is neurodiverse.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:05pm
It looks like the genre pool for this competition is A/A, Comedy, Drama, Fairy Tale, Fantasy, Ghost, HistFic, Horror, Romance, RomCom, Sci-Fi, Suspense/Thriller--out of those, I think I'd struggle most with rhyming HistFic. HistFic and Comedy are the two genres I haven't pulled yet that I'm most scared of. Even though I'm doing pretty well with my NYCM bingo (no repeats yet!), I'd be happy to never pull Comedy LOL I'd accept HistFic for a Flash. I do NOT want it for Rhyming!! (I've just cursed myself to get it for Rhyming, haven't I...)
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
That was one reason I did not sign up for the guinea pig season. I want to know which genres they're keeping (because if I had to try and write a rhyming political satire I'd probably quit writing.)
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

That was one reason I did not sign up for the guinea pig season. I want to know which genres they're keeping (because if I had to try and write a rhyming political satire I'd probably quit writing.)

If you wanted to still sign-up, they post the possible genres in the rules and regulations! So no PolSat for this one haha. But I understand that Rhyming Story isn't for everyone, even without the risk of PolSat LOL
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

If you wanted to still sign-up, they post the possible genres in the rules and regulations! So no PolSat for this one haha. LOL

I hadn't seen that in the rules! Meaning I didn't actually read the rules. But glad to know that Political Satire is out of the mix as rhyming P.S. sounds like a seriously unfun assignment.

So out of the genres on offer I would order them like this, easiest to hardest, based on nothing but my gut instinct which is notoriously off. 

Fairy Tale and/or Fantasy
Comedy
Romantic Comedy
Historical Fiction
Drama
Ghost Story
Horror
Romance
Sci-Fi
Action and/or Adventure
Suspense and/or Thriller

KirrilyK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KirrilyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:20am

You're speaking my language. I have signed up for the rhyming story challenge, but recently had PolSat for short screenplay and did not enjoy the experience, and if I get PolSat for the rhyming challenge, I'm out. 
MF100 R1 G9 Visitation Dreams
R2 Screenwriting Roll the Dice
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:29am
Originally posted by KirrilyK KirrilyK wrote:

You're speaking my language. I have signed up for the rhyming story challenge, but recently had PolSat for short screenplay and did not enjoy the experience, and if I get PolSat for the rhyming challenge, I'm out. 

Political Satire is not one of the possible genres for this challenge, along with mystery, spy and crime caper. Those four genres are also removed from both Microfiction challenges.
KirrilyK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KirrilyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

Originally posted by KirrilyK KirrilyK wrote:

Political Satire is not one of the possible genres for this challenge, along with mystery, spy and crime caper. Those four genres are also removed from both Microfiction challenges.

I’m so relieved this is the case. I’m looking forward to this challenge. 
MF100 R1 G9 Visitation Dreams
R2 Screenwriting Roll the Dice
hungrywriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungrywriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

Oh, thank goodness no spy! Although I don't think Mystery would be that bad in rhyme, really; I'd swap it for suspense personally. 
Though I think it might be tricker to match rhymes with a "clearly expressed" emotion and theme in those specific excluded genres.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by hungrywriter hungrywriter wrote:

Oh, thank goodness no spy! Although I don't think Mystery would be that bad in rhyme, really; I'd swap it for suspense personally. 
Though I think it might be tricker to match rhymes with a "clearly expressed" emotion and theme in those specific excluded genres.

I actually hope I pull Suspense! Only with the right emotion and theme I should caveat, I suppose. Writing my Suspense/Thriller was one of my favorite (and the good news is that those categories are combined again for Rhyme, so if you don’t like Suspense, you could write a Thriller!). Though, if I pulled Suspense, I’d mess up my streak of a new genre for every story (I’ve gotten a different genre for all 5 NYCM I’ve written so far!), so maybe I shouldn’t hope for a repeat since it would be pretty cool to get through almost every genre (I’d like to pull Comedy never, lol. I already got PolSat in with my very first NYCM ever, so that one’s already checked off the list LOL).

My personal dread (besides Comedy) is HistFic… I don’t know if I could pull of HistFic prose, let alone Rhyming Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>