NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Prompt Combinations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Pretty much anything that does not have the words Soy or Crime Caper involved.

I see you can't even bring yourself to write 'spy' any more.WinkWinkWink

A few of you this round very fed up with spy. Looking forward to seeing what you and Zoelou each wrote in rebellion!

Maybe his, mine not so much, lol.
Will703 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Will703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 1:06am
For Flash - Ghost Story / Research Facility / Scale

For Short Story - Fantasy / Mutiny (Subject) / An Imitator (Character)

libertypen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote libertypen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:16am
Favourite flash prompt I've had: Thriller / a birthday party / a sugar cube

Probably "easiest" prompt I've had: Romantic comedy / a blind date / an extension cord (from the most recent round; hardest part of this one was trying to make it original!)

MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by booklover13 booklover13 wrote:

Like other skills, one of the best ways to improve writing is to consistently practice. However it's always been difficult for me to find the motivation to do so. One of the things that helps is having prompts (which is why I love NYC Midnight). However fun, challenging prompts can be difficult to find.

So I was wondering if people could post their favorite NYC midnight prompt combinations they've had. That way I (and others) could have a collection of good ones to practice writing with. 

(One of my favorites was Fairy Tale/ Black smith/ Supply and demand)

One of my favorites that I saw - it may have been in the FF R1 was 

political satire/a monorail/ white powder

I know that poli satire is the most hated of the genres. Satire is one of my most favorite genres to live in for short stories. It's how I used to work out my frustrations with life when I was in high school and college.

That particular grouping of prompts had a ton of ideas rushing into my brain. I think I may have even texted a friend with a "Faith, Trust, and White Snorting Dust" because of that promptBig smile

It also sparked me asking around to see which cities in North America, Europe and Asia had monorails for public transportation. And which ones still use light rails and trolleys. 

Anyway, this prompt is still sitting in my "ideas notebook" and in the links I had gone down the rabbit hole with are saved in my writing software. Just in cases, as my sisters and I say. Wink
ramblejamble View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:45pm
I think my favourite Flash prompt I've had is: Drama / an audition / a keyboard.
I hated the Drama part but thought the audition was a great location. So many different ways you could go. I also liked Romance / a boutique / a banana peel - it's fun when you get a wacky object to try to insert.

Favourite short story prompt: Sci Fi / a bait and switch / a pessimist (genre/subject/character).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12