NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FF Round 1 - "Top 5" finishers on Master List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:31pm
Sometimes a list like this is created: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/flash-fiction-ch-3-updated-w-results_topic44883.html which I find super helpful. I don't mind making the list, but creating story hyperlinks is tedious. If there's a way for you to combine two columns in excel (story title and hyperlink) someone please tell me what it is, then I'll create a list like the linked one above.
Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Searching tip: you can go to the search page and search for a particular word or phrase from a group. I like to select show as threads, as it's easier to sort at a glance. It won't catch absolutely everyone, but it does catch anyone who lists their prompt in their thread :)

Thank you for this link! A useful tool, for sure.
Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Marconimist Marconimist wrote:

I don’t think you’ll find any fine distinctions between the top-ranking stories besides what the judges happened to fancy at a given moment, but you should be able to glean what elevates a top-ranking story from one that didn’t do as well.

You're probably right about fine distinctions being difficult to discern. At least we can try to see what the judges in a particular genre seem to favor.

I looked at the thread and the outside blog for the "Emotional Support Robot" story. It appears that the author has not posted the story online.

Maybe a number of the stories that have not been published in the forum are not, as I speculated earlier, left out due to people finding the process unwieldy; maybe people who sell stories for a living prefer not to post their stories in the forum before trying to sell them. Fair enough!
Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Pages Pages wrote:

Sometimes a list like this is created: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/flash-fiction-ch-3-updated-w-results_topic44883.html which I find super helpful. I don't mind making the list, but creating story hyperlinks is tedious. If there's a way for you to combine two columns in excel (story title and hyperlink) someone please tell me what it is, then I'll create a list like the linked one above.

Thanks for the link. That does look like a lot of work. Amazing resource, though. Thanks for sharing.
Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm
I finished up the 120 groups and amended my original post to include them.

To make use of this list, keep a tab open to this thread and a tab to the Master List. Navigate to the groups and links that interest you.

Now that I've systematically read through the available "top 5" stories from my Round 2 genre (fairy tale), I'm glad I didn't read them before starting my story! Coincidentally, one of the #1 fairy tale stories in Round 1 featured a Minotaur and wizards, and I also have a Minotaur and wizards in my Round 2 fairy tale. I guess they are archetypal elements for fairy tales. There's bound to be overlap from time to time, and almost nothing else overlaps between my story and that one.
Deanna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 6:27pm
This is a great idea, scrolling through the results page is such a faff! Thanks for compiling!
FF22 CH2 Drama:
Industrial Action
Deanna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

This is INCREDIBLE!! If you want, maybe we can all collaborate on a Google Sheet I setup while waiting for results Thursday night? That way, we'll have the makings of an awesome top-scoring FFC '22 archive for all of eternity that people can save to their own personal Google Drives if they want :)

This is another great resource, thanks for sharing!!
FF22 CH2 Drama:
Industrial Action
Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 6:32pm
I like what you did, so I created a Word document of all the stories with the results (1st - 15th place) and made a post about it here: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/flash-fiction-round-one-masterlist-with-results_topic49134.html, if anyone is interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12