NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by sgspeed sgspeed wrote:

Originally posted by pedrothefish pedrothefish wrote:

My NYC process remains pretty much the same as it has always been. The ol' twelve step plan.

2) Come up with an idea that no matter how lame, stupid, or ill-advised, my brain won't let go of.
3) Ponder various "better" ideas but always return to number 2.

This is me. The idea gets in there and it will not leave. It's like it has to be written, no matter how much I dislike it. 

I am the same. Once an idea is there I have to run with it. Too many times had betas tell me stuff that I just can't listen to. But I like the ideas is the problem and not the prompts...
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by evgar evgar wrote:

Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

So I was happy with my story when I submitted on Sunday. Now I'm second-guessing myself. I'm wondering if it's "crime caper-y" enough. The story revolves around a theft and I describe it in a flashback but...I dunno. This is my first FF challenge and I'm not sure how strict the judges are about the genre. Any thoughts from people who've been doing this longer??

We already know what a crime is. Just add caper. The dictionary definition is, to "skip or dance about in a lively or playful way." 

A crime caper should be fun to read. It isn't comedy, but there should be some bumbling about by either the cops or the crooks. 

In my first NYCM flash competition I got crime caper. I wrote a straight forward crime drama, but the judges didn't even bring genre up in their comments. The second time I got cc, I dressed the crime up with some humorous scenes and characters. 

The genres that seem to overlap most are thriller and suspense. Action and Adventure might also overlap with these, but AA does have some distinct characteristics such as wild action scenes and even a hero performing the action. Also with AA, I think of the action happening outdoors, but maybe that's just me. 

That's good to know they didn't mention genre in your feedback! And yeah I agree I saw "Thriller" and "Suspense" and off the top of my head I wouldn't be able to tell you a difference, hah. I'm sure if I actually read the descriptions of those two it distinguishes them, but I've never actually made the distinction myself in my brain.

I’ve drawn suspense/thriller/horror multiple times but I don’t think I’ve ever actively tried to distinguish one from another (besides thriller having a slightly faster pace). As long as there’s something spooky in there the judges never seem to mind!
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
medeazorba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medeazorba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 12:27am
Originally posted by pedrothefish pedrothefish wrote:

My NYC process remains pretty much the same as it has always been. The ol' twelve step plan.

1) Receive prompts (only two possible reactions here-either "holy f#ck, the writing gods hate me" or "I can make something out of that." There is NEVER middle ground.
2) Come up with an idea that no matter how lame, stupid, or ill-advised, my brain won't let go of.
3) Ponder various "better" ideas but always return to number 2.
4) Spend the next 24 hours with the story playing itself out in my head. Like a movie that plays for five minutes, stops, then plays for ten minutes, stops, etc. I may jot down a couple of dot points, but never write anything else on day one.
5) Work, visit family or procrastinate in some way until step 4 has done its thing and the time limit is a REAL challenge.
6) Type out what my pea-like brain finally allows me to. Fast. Somehow, I'm usually within a hundred words of the limit.
7) Rush through an "edit" (lol) to hopefully catch the super-dumbest things. This is not always successful.
8) Desperately try to bang out a title and (ugh)-synopsis in the minutes (or seconds) left on the countdown.
9) Immediately detest the thing I've just pushed 'send' on. Not have the faintest idea whether it's even a little decent.
10) Admire (and secretly detest) other writers who wrote four different stories in the same time frame, and still had the luxury to get feedback from several beta readers-while I just basically sent in a first draft. 
11) Shrug.
12) Drink. (Well, want to at least. Our NYC is more midday than midnight and I usually have to get to work.)

Super rarely, there might be tiny deviations to the twelve point plan, but only from point 9 onwards. For instance, twice, (out of about twenty stories) I knew I didn't totally hate what I had written. 

I don't recommend the twelve point plan at all, but I can't seem to do it any other way. Might explain some of my stories.

Wait, this is MY 12-step plan, too! LOL
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 6:31am
Originally posted by ramblejamble ramblejamble wrote:

I had crime caper this time too (it seems like a lot of groups got it this round??) and am also second guessing if mine is crime caper-y enough. I'm not even sure if the "crime" in mine will count as a proper crime haha. Oh well, too late now! evgar, it sounds like yours will be fine though with the theft and pov of the criminals. I do 100% agree with Lulumacmac about the subjectiveness with the judges though! 

Oooh, just checked in case there have been more CC this round, there were 7 groups assigned with it - which is just about the right amount for 120 groups altogether divided by the 17 genres. Must just be more CCs sharing their titles etc. Definitely feels like there is a lot more chat around the genre!

I am going to make sure I make a beeline for the different crime caper groups! I will add you on my list to watch out for.
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 6:37am

Thanks for the response! You're totally right that happy feeling is what I should focus on. Did you have crime caper for the first round in this competition? That's so surprising to me! I'll definitely share when we're able. :) And likewise about reading yours!

No, I had ghost in the first round - which I did not do justice as was feeling totes unwell, grateful I ended up placing as wasn't expecting to! 

I had crime caper in the first round of FF last year, I didn't place with it mostly because it was my first attempt in writing in a very long time and also I wasn't sure what to do with the genre - however judges did not comment at all on the genre in feedback. One did get quite put out about my references/quotes to very popular karaoke songs (it was set in a karaoke bar!) that they did not understand or recognise Clap. Soooo yeh LOL

I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
kmallory63 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmallory63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 6:51am
I got historical fiction, which I would normally like, but on an aircraft carrier (??), and an apple pie!!??  My first draft was absolute crap and only 500 words.  I eventually fleshed it out but still wasn’t happy with the HF aspect of it. How exactly do you know what year it is on a navy ship?  It’s not like much has changed in the past 100 years except women being allowed. In desperation, I sent it to my best friend (thank god for librarians) and she came back with some very constructive feedback, and I think I managed to get a decent story out of it. I think.  

First time doing a NYC challenge, and despite the frustration, I’m having fun. I think. 

😂😂🤯🙃😜🤪😳
Krista M.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678