NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC R2 Check-In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 7:08pm
Just woke up on day 2 (Aus time) and I’m more attached than ever to my buckwild plan. Spy has completely driven me off the rails but this story is happening whether it earns me a DQ or not hahaha.
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm
First draft is coming along well except these darn characters won’t tell me how it ends.. I’m saving 150
words for inspiration to strike.  Time to start editing - my favourite park of the process!!

Also trying to smoothly fit a flyswatter into a drama is making me angry!
HalcyonDaze View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HalcyonDaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm
Haven't written a word of my Fairy Tale yet.

I'm currently at the point where I'm deciding whether to use "Once upon a time..." as my first sentence or be bold and try something different, lol.

I have ideas for characters and how to use the location and the object in that location, but I have no idea how to make a fairy tale work right now.
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:00pm
Meh. I cried last night when I saw the prompts and saw that the genre - frickin' Suspense! - was the same as what I had last weekend for SSC R1. After not being able to think of anything exciting with the ho-hum location (baggage claim area) and object (wet suit), I finally thought of creative interpretations for the location and object but still had no idea what the premise would be. Tossed-and-turned most of the night, then had a speck of an idea shortly after arising. I've been working on it off and on most of the afternoon, but I'm truly feeling "whatevs" about it. And after not placing in R1 and getting a duplicate genre, I'm basically just writing SOMEthing so as to not beat myself up for not finishing, but really, my overriding thought is "Eff it. I'm just gonna do the thing and whatever." 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:24pm
Haven't written a thing. I have an idea, but I just don't care because I know I'm not going to score well because it's polsat. (Also I had work so it's not like I had time to write anyway.)
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:43pm
I finished my first draft and did a handful of beta swaps. My beta readers offered some excellent suggestions, and I will see about rolling them in in the morning once I've rested. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my progress and think I'm on the right track!
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:50pm
I have a first draft of a historical fiction story in a bucket shop with a pancake that I feel kind of okay about. It needs cleaning up and I am 37 words over, but did i say I feel kind of meh about it?
I'll have another stab at the word count in a bit, then see about some beta swaps this evening.
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:51pm
Is anyone interested in trading beta reads?
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

I have a first draft of a historical fiction story in a bucket shop with a pancake that I feel kind of okay about. It needs cleaning up and I am 37 words over, but did i say I feel kind of meh about it?
I'll have another stab at the word count in a bit, then see about some beta swaps this evening.

Let me know when you are ready to swap beta reads. I'm ready now. 
Rita View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:58pm
I started two different stories but now don't like either one. Wish I could get moving. It feels like I'm pulling teeth or trudging through mud.. or maybe sinking in quicksand!

The website says crime caper is supposed to be somewhat humorous. I was hoping for something dark or dramatic. I'm not feeling the least bit humored or inspired by petting zoo and spitball. Especially since my group had comedy and a doggie daycare for round 1. I only have 4 points so I need a lot of points this round to have a shot at moving on. 

Planning to write well into the wee hours... maybe a glass of cabernet will help. 
Good luck to all.

Writing in Progress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>