NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NYCM: Rhyming Story Challenge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Oh, to hell with it... I'm in at the last minute. It would have been cheaper if I'd paid before the British government started actively trying to tank the pound today, but never mind.
I've never failed to submit on NYCM yet, but that record could be severely tested this week.

I was a last minute sign-up as well.  We are going on a road trip for the next week so this could be a fun distraction in the car.. hopefully my husband will enjoy my constant questions of "what rhymes with...."
DianeG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

I'm psyched. This sounds absolutely absurd. Also, the temptation to compete in an inaugural challenge is hard to resist LOL The only thing is that 600 words seems LONG to maintain a rhyming scheme. I'm excited to see where it forces my brain to wander, though!

In the FAQs there is a question about whether the entire thing has to be in meter and/or rhyming scheme and the answer is no.

"There are no rules regarding how much of the story needs to rhyme, so you are welcome to intercut rhyming passages with prose. That being said, a significant portion of the score is based on how satisfying the judge felt the rhythm and pattern of the rhyme scheme was throughout the story. So, a story that rhymes throughout the entire piece most likely will score higher than a story that does not. Of course, it will depend on the story and how it's written, so we would recommend focusing on writing the best story you can based on the prompts and rules."

I'm also excited to be a guinea pig! (One of my books is a children's book about guinea pigs, lol).
Diane Gallagher
Read my 1st Round story titled A Good Run
FireflyKaylee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Oh, to hell with it... I'm in at the last minute. It would have been cheaper if I'd paid before the British government started actively trying to tank the pound today, but never mind.
I've never failed to submit on NYCM yet, but that record could be severely tested this week.

It's almost a shame PolSat isn't a genre for this one... We've certainly got plenty of inspiration for that atm! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567