FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NYCM: Rhyming Story Challenge!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FireflyKaylee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NYCM: Rhyming Story Challenge!
    Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Oh, to hell with it... I'm in at the last minute. It would have been cheaper if I'd paid before the British government started actively trying to tank the pound today, but never mind.
I've never failed to submit on NYCM yet, but that record could be severely tested this week.

It's almost a shame PolSat isn't a genre for this one... We've certainly got plenty of inspiration for that atm! 
DianeG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

I'm psyched. This sounds absolutely absurd. Also, the temptation to compete in an inaugural challenge is hard to resist LOL The only thing is that 600 words seems LONG to maintain a rhyming scheme. I'm excited to see where it forces my brain to wander, though!

In the FAQs there is a question about whether the entire thing has to be in meter and/or rhyming scheme and the answer is no.

"There are no rules regarding how much of the story needs to rhyme, so you are welcome to intercut rhyming passages with prose. That being said, a significant portion of the score is based on how satisfying the judge felt the rhythm and pattern of the rhyme scheme was throughout the story. So, a story that rhymes throughout the entire piece most likely will score higher than a story that does not. Of course, it will depend on the story and how it's written, so we would recommend focusing on writing the best story you can based on the prompts and rules."

I'm also excited to be a guinea pig! (One of my books is a children's book about guinea pigs, lol).
Diane Gallagher
Read my 1st Round story titled A Good Run
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Oh, to hell with it... I'm in at the last minute. It would have been cheaper if I'd paid before the British government started actively trying to tank the pound today, but never mind.
I've never failed to submit on NYCM yet, but that record could be severely tested this week.

I was a last minute sign-up as well.  We are going on a road trip for the next week so this could be a fun distraction in the car.. hopefully my husband will enjoy my constant questions of "what rhymes with...."
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:44am
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by RumpleStinkbug RumpleStinkbug wrote:

I didn’t sign up for this challenge but I’ve thought a lot about it. Sorry to get personal here and I never read the rules of the challenge. My family is moving shortly and my brother in law has been vandalizing the home we are moving into. So I decided to channel my anger at this by trying my hand at writing it down in a poem. It may not be any good but it’s based off of real life events and I appreciate anyone asking that takes the time to read this.

In-laws

Mother Nature made a man who thinks he rules of all the land. 
He’s plotted, schemed, swept up in a dream, 
and yet he does not get tired. 

His words are like velvet tied up with a bow, 
but there are no lengths that his lies will not go. 
As he sows this discord watching misery spread
not once feeling bad or hanging his head.

His targets have felt the wrath of his ire and, yet he still feels the need to conspire. 

Enlisting the help of weak minded men, today the attack begins again.

Much like the Grinch and sure it seems, he tears at the strings of his family’s dreams. 

The marriage destroyed of his Earth given parents, his sister discarded, lack of empathy apparent. 

Now we’ll get back to his first born brother, the one that he hates like no other. 

Hatching a plan with his cohorts ‘report to the shed in the morning!’ he torts.

He planned to dismantle what he doesn’t own, and throw his own mother off of her throne. 

He didn’t foresee all the help nearby, and when his plan didn’t work he started to cry. 

His lackey’s left him in a quickening pace, but not before he took every door and lightbulb in the place. 

Last but not least, he cut a main wire causing a danger that would not expire. Any unknown person who flipped the switch a sudden death would bewitch. It doesn’t matter which person he kills, he only relies on the most basic skills. 

A tragedy done would only inspire the ideal narcissist the universe could hire.

Love, Mother Earth

This isn’t the end of the story my friend, I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I can!

Excellent! Well your B-I-L sounds like a total tool 😬. I am sorry for what you are having to deal with. I hope one day you will take out a full page ad in the local paper and print your packs-a-punch poem along with his photo! Hooray for the awesome power of words. The pen is definitely mightier than the sword 🙌🙌🙌 
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
RumpleStinkbug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumpleStinkbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:31pm
I didn’t sign up for this challenge but I’ve thought a lot about it. Sorry to get personal here and I never read the rules of the challenge. My family is moving shortly and my brother in law has been vandalizing the home we are moving into. So I decided to channel my anger at this by trying my hand at writing it down in a poem. It may not be any good but it’s based off of real life events and I appreciate anyone asking that takes the time to read this.

In-laws

Mother Nature made a man who thinks he rules of all the land. 
He’s plotted, schemed, swept up in a dream, 
and yet he does not get tired. 

His words are like velvet tied up with a bow, 
but there are no lengths that his lies will not go. 
As he sows this discord watching misery spread
not once feeling bad or hanging his head.

His targets have felt the wrath of his ire and, yet he still feels the need to conspire. 

Enlisting the help of weak minded men, today the attack begins again.

Much like the Grinch and sure it seems, he tears at the strings of his family’s dreams. 

The marriage destroyed of his Earth given parents, his sister discarded, lack of empathy apparent. 

Now we’ll get back to his first born brother, the one that he hates like no other. 

Hatching a plan with his cohorts ‘report to the shed in the morning!’ he torts.

He planned to dismantle what he doesn’t own, and throw his own mother off of her throne. 

He didn’t foresee all the help nearby, and when his plan didn’t work he started to cry. 

His lackey’s left him in a quickening pace, but not before he took every door and lightbulb in the place. 

Last but not least, he cut a main wire causing a danger that would not expire. Any unknown person who flipped the switch a sudden death would bewitch. It doesn’t matter which person he kills, he only relies on the most basic skills. 

A tragedy done would only inspire the ideal narcissist the universe could hire.

Love, Mother Earth

This isn’t the end of the story my friend, I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I can!
sfuji View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfuji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by iress iress wrote:

Originally posted by Chuck1966 Chuck1966 wrote:

Originally posted by sfuji sfuji wrote:

This is either going to be really fun, or really excruciating. SickParty

The two are not mutually exclusive.  Beer

True. Lol.

SO bloody true! Throw in a bunch of other holy s!*!! emotions and we’ll have a well rounded nycm experience. LOL
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Chuck1966 Chuck1966 wrote:

True. Lol.
Rita View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 2:58pm
I'll try it... just this once. 
Eight days seems doable. I have my old rhyming dictionary from my days of writing for kids. I expect it will be a welcome resource.

Of course if by some miracle I made it into round 2, four days sounds a lot more challenging. Ha ha. 

Writing in Progress
Chuck1966 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 11:03am

"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -- C.S. Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>