NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Round 1 Results?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aeiris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:41pm
There is about 35 people per group I believe. I did a whole bunch of calculations myself and I feel its been mentioned before. 
franim6 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franim6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:45pm
There was an email sent out earlier today. Super excited and nervous for round #2. Am I the only one who's nervous about the genre assignment? I have confidence in most of the genres, but I am hoping I don't get one that I am less experienced in.
jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by aao aao wrote:

Hi. I can't figure out how to initiate a post, so will just reply to yours since you seem knowledgeable about this process.  First of all, thank you for your good guess about delay. 

Here's my question, though: Are there just 15 writers assigned to each group so that everyone is guaranteed a score of between 1 and 15 (assuming one was not disqualified) OR is there a chance one could get a zero. 

Thank you!

There are about 35 in each group.

Re: scores: IIRC, the lowest combined score that's *mathematically* safe for advancing is 26--it's possible for six people in a group to have 25 points each, in which case the person who scored 10 in the second challenge is a sad panda. Practically though, your chance of getting through gets pretty good around 18-19, and 22+ missing R2 is pretty rare. It's also mathematically possible to get through on 13, but pretty unlikely--I'm not sure it's ever happened? There are a couple 15s that make it to round 2 every year though ^.^
500 Final - Like a Sailor's Lady-Love (Sci-Fi)
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:49pm
By my math (total number of participants/number of groups), I BELIEVE that each group has 40-45 writers.  Definitely more than 15, and they do specify that if you are not in the top 15 the score is zero.  If somebody knows better than I do, please correct me.Smile
jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by MartyEss MartyEss wrote:

By my math (total number of participants/number of groups), I BELIEVE that each group has 40-45 writers.  Definitely more than 15, and they do specify that if you are not in the top 15 the score is zero.  If somebody knows better than I do, please correct me.Smile

Nah, it's about 35. I counted a couple groups, and there's also this on the assignments page:

There are 4,231 writers participating in 120 groups with approximately 35 writers per group.
500 Final - Like a Sailor's Lady-Love (Sci-Fi)
Aeiris View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeiris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:56pm
I had also went through and counted the number of entries submitted in my group. Had 35, so i'm hoping that meant everyone got a chance to submit!
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 12:35am
Thank you for all the speedy replies, Everybody! I had looked for the info but couldn't find it. Usually I am "a reader upon whom nothing is lost" (Henry James) - but apparently not this time. 

Kinda sorta wished I hadn't asked though... sosososososo scared to see a zero! Ugh! Yuck!

But thanks again for explaining it, you mighty writers...
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 1:03am
Got 22 points in 2020 and still didn't get through while in other groups 15 was enough. Can be frustrating that there is a huge variation between groups but it also means that your score in R1 doesn't mean as much as you think. It is impossible to predict how the combined results will work out. Write even if you get a 0 and don't think you're safe because you scored high (one of my scores was 14...).
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 1:43am
Oh, my gosh!!! I can barely imagine how frustrating that would be; I would be furious. Twenty two seems like a very high score. How maddening. I'm going to have to study this scoring rubric more closely, as I do NOT understand how lower scores make it thru, but not necessarily higher ones. (Not asking you to explain it - don't want you to revisit the misery. Seriously.)  

I appreciate the encouragement to write even if receiving a 0 because my first inclination would definitely be to throw in the towel. You have an astonishingly great attitude, and much pluck I think. An inspiration. Thank you.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 2:04am
Originally posted by aao aao wrote:

Oh, my gosh!!! I can barely imagine how frustrating that would be; I would be furious. Twenty two seems like a very high score. How maddening. I'm going to have to study this scoring rubric more closely, as I do NOT understand how lower scores make it thru, but not necessarily higher ones. (Not asking you to explain it - don't want you to revisit the misery. Seriously.)  

I appreciate the encouragement to write even if receiving a 0 because my first inclination would definitely be to throw in the towel. You have an astonishingly great attitude, and much pluck I think. An inspiration. Thank you.

Part of the trouble starts when there are ties.. I personally would put them both in as it really does not change much.
I always write, no matter if I score or not. I pay to be there and I like having the story and the feedback from the forums - I like the forums, so many that I now consider friends, or at least acquaintances, lots of fun - if I was just here to win lots of money I would not get much outa these contest, haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>