NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Round 1 Results?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TessaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by SBriggs SBriggs wrote:

And so our watch continues. I’m grateful for this thread for mentally preparing me for the delay. 🫠🙏🏻Ok

I feel the same way! This is my first time doing NCYM, so I didn’t know it usually gets delayed. I was still checking my email constantly though. Hopefully we’ll actually get them tomorrow!
SS R1: Rules of Entanglement (Fantasy)
https://tinyurl.com/3k6rteaz
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:03pm
If this is going to happen every flash R1, why not just change it to Thursday permanently. Grr
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

If this is going to happen every flash R1, why not just change it to Thursday permanently. Grr

Cause then it’d just be pushed back to Friday!  

The delays have never really bothered me, honestly.  As long as I can get my feedback before the next round starts, at least.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Cause then it’d just be pushed back to Friday!  

The delays have never really bothered me, honestly.  As long as I can get my feedback before the next round starts, at least.

True ! LOL
aao View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:13pm
Aaah! SO hard to wait... I find myself obsessing over the outcome, which feels unhealthy. Best of luck to us all!

catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by deedodd81 deedodd81 wrote:

And the delay email arrives.

And for once I’m not bothered because I didn’t submit for C1 🤦🏻‍♀️

LOL
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by cjr169 cjr169 wrote:

Delayed till tomorrow!

Not surprised considering the amount of entries to read.

Strangely, SSC R1 results weren't delayed with 6,245 entries at 2500 words each, and neither were MF100 R1 results with 6,973 entries (though only 100 words each, so that's a little easier), so Flash is a much smaller competition than those two with only 4,231 entries! MF100 R2 results were also delayed with only 1,770 semi-finalists--I can't seem to find a pattern LOL
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

Strangely, SSC R1 results weren't delayed with 6,245 entries at 2500 words each, and neither were MF100 R1 results with 6,973 entries (though only 100 words each, so that's a little easier), so Flash is a much smaller competition than those two with only 4,231 entries! MF100 R2 results were also delayed with only 1,770 semi-finalists--I can't seem to find a pattern LOL

OK, here is a completely random speculation about when delays occur - random because I have no idea how they actually manage the ranking from 3 judges.

Let's assume:
- first stage is that all judges mark all stories according to criteria. If there is agreement between judges, all well and good. Story with most marks get position 1 and so on. But there will be cases when judges have different opinions, and two or more entries end up with the same number of points overall. Then we move on to:
- second stage. Either judges are asked to remark stories with same mark, or they are asked to rank those stories in order (Kind of a tiebreak scenario.) Let's assume that they are asked to rank the stories with same points. If there are two stories with same points and three judges, one story is sure to come up top at least twice. So we have a winner and can proceed with overall ranking. But if there are three stories and three judges and each story gets a 1,2 and 3 ranking, then we still have no winner.
Now, if this happens in one group, it may be possible to resolve quickly. But if it happens with lots of groups, then they have a lot to sort out. 
And that's when the delay happens. 

Heaven knows how they sort it out. Maybe they send the stories off to a brand new judge (from another group) to judge. Maybe they revisit the whole process. No idea. But my guess is that it means they're having issues getting a final ranking for a few groups, and they delay all of them so that no one will have a hint that they *just* missed out in that sort of a way.

And a separate comment for everyone fed up with waiting. If you're in Australia, the emails say you'll get results on Wednesday but you never get them till Thursday. And then the delay email says Thursday, but you know it really means Friday. Sheesh those days can seem long. Even though you know it logically, it just sucks!

Edited by FireHorse - 10 Aug 2022 at 8:56pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

[QUOTE=CamsynClair]

OK, here is a completely random speculation about when delays occur - random because I have no idea how they actually manage the ranking from 3 judges.

Let's assume:
- first stage is that all judges mark all stories according to criteria. If there is agreement between judges, all well and good. Story with most marks get position 1 and so on. But there will be cases when judges have different opinions, and two or more entries end up with the same number of points overall. Then we move on to:
- second stage. Either judges are asked to remark stories with same mark, or they are asked to rank those stories in order (Kind of a tiebreak scenario.) Let's assume that they are asked to rank the stories with same points. If there are two stories with same points and three judges, one story is sure to come up top at least twice. So we have a winner and can proceed with overall ranking. But if there are three stories and three judges and each story gets a 1,2 and 3 ranking, then we still have no winner.
Now, if this happens in one group, it may be possible to resolve quickly. But if it happens with lots of groups, then they have a lot to sort out. 

Heaven knows how they sort it out. Maybe they send the stories off to a brand new judge (from another group) to judge. Maybe they revisit the whole process. No idea. But my guess is that it means they're having issues getting a final ranking for a few groups, and they delay all of them so that no one will have a hint that they *just* missed out in that sort of a way.

And a separate comment for everyone fed up with waiting. If you're in Australia, the emails say you'll get results on Wednesday but you never get them till Thursday. And then the delay email says Thursday, but you know it really means Friday. Sheesh those days can seem long. Even though you know it logically, it just sucks!

Firehorse, your reasons are great! I had never considered those. My thoughts had always been the judges are like herding cats. You get a couple that just don't like how much they are paid or some such stuff and so they just don't finish their work and wait till the last minuet to tell management. I think your thoughts are much closer to the truth. I would be great to hear from NYCM what happens, but I think you have it covered.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

You're probably totally right! Like Suave, I was also wondering if all the judges had ADHD like me and had trouble finishing on time but could always finish exactly one day later LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>