NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 32>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashesndots2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm
Just finished my last duel. I got to read all three genres this time, which was great! I only got to read Paranormal Mystery in the previous Flash battle.
Although I was terrified of having to write Cannibal Comedy, I really loved two of the stories I read in that genre. Hope they both make it far.
One thing I made sure to do this time was write down which stories I judged. Last battle, by the time the results brackets started filling up, I had completely forgotten the titles of several of the ones I judged. So this way I can keep track of how my "winners" do overall.
*Also - in this group, I felt like I had the hardest time judging the seeding round. They seemed really evenly matched. Not sure where my other duels would have fallen, but there was always a clear winner for me.

Edited by dashesndots2 - 22 Nov 2022 at 10:16pm
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 7:50am
Originally posted by dashesndots2 dashesndots2 wrote:

Just finished my last duel. I got to read all three genres this time, which was great! I only got to read Paranormal Mystery in the previous Flash battle.
Although I was terrified of having to write Cannibal Comedy, I really loved two of the stories I read in that genre. Hope they both make it far.
One thing I made sure to do this time was write down which stories I judged. Last battle, by the time the results brackets started filling up, I had completely forgotten the titles of several of the ones I judged. So this way I can keep track of how my "winners" do overall.
*Also - in this group, I felt like I had the hardest time judging the seeding round. They seemed really evenly matched. Not sure where my other duels would have fallen, but there was always a clear winner for me.

Good to hear you got a variety this time. The Battle last February had a problem where it was very likely that people got the same genre everytime. That should no longer be the case since it's now properly random (as intended).

Cannibal Comedy is a genre that I knew everyone would be afraid to both write and read, but with weird constraints comes artistic brilliance. My bet is the top story will be masterful and deliciously funny.

Good idea with writing down the names of the stories that you've judged! Maybe I will add that to the Details tab on the Battle page in case other people forget.

It's completely random for seeding, so who knows! Maybe just by fluke you got two of the top stories or perfectly evenly matched rather.

No story has broken out into the Quarter Finals yet. Most Face-Offs are one bracket under the Quarter Finals (and a few Face-Offs are two brackets under), so we're approximately at the top 16 of each genre right now. So if you just finished your Duel, those stories were at least top 32. Still a ways to go, but the bulk of the Duels are completed, so we're actually ahead of schedule.
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 4:46pm
I finished my last duel. Two cannibal and three historical fiction. Some really talented writers in these battles and the most recent one was definitely the most challenging because they were equal in every piece of criteria I use when judging (I always strive to be consistent!).

TessaK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TessaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 6:30pm
I just finished judging my last duel as well! I ended up getting Cyberpunk four times and Detective Story once. I was very lucky with all my duels because there was a clear winner each time despite the stories all being great. 
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 1:26pm
I know I've read this somewhere, and I know it's not until the stories are in the hands of the professionals, but does anyone know when the forums open? Can't wait LOL
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by UK5AM UK5AM wrote:

I know I've read this somewhere, and I know it's not until the stories are in the hands of the professionals, but does anyone know when the forums open? Can't wait LOL

I can't wait, either! My entry wasn't the cleanest as I was facing serious writer's block until the last few hours of the competition, but I think it was a fun little concept that I'm excited to share! And sooo excited to read others in my genre and those cannibal comedies that I've missed out on judging for duels!
writerjo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote writerjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:24pm
I'm definitely up for more time!  I would love to try a flash 1000 words over three days instead of two.  I never quite get done until the last minute and almost never beta or even give enough time between finishing and really proper rereading/redrafting.  Maybe I'd waste the extra day (LIKELY) but I'd like to think I would make the time for letting my story stew in its own juices for a bit before submitting.
I have also really loved having extra duel time, and do the same as a few others have mentioned - read the stories, sleep on it, write my notes and make a decision.  I almost always instinctively know which story I'll choose on the first read, but I like having time to write notes and reread so that I can feel like I've justified my choice with logic.
Thank you so much for these competitions, Max!  I always enjoy myself and love the duels.
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm
Finished my last duel and got the detective stories I wanted to see, completing the set. Both stories were really strong and I felt bad for the one I didn't pick because they both felt like very refined winners.

Now a two week wait with nothing else to judge until we can see the outcome!
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 3:27am
But... the waiting is painful!!
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 3:30am
I got pretty evenly split between Cannibal Comedy (the ones I just judged were great), and Cyberpunk.  Didn't get to see any of the Historical Fiction.
I suppose you can guess what my genre was...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 32>