NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 12:57pm
I was thrilled to get Sci Fi though I don't know that I did it justice - it's such a great genre to get though because it can be so many things. Used up every draw this time for both character and object!

I had hoped to tie it in to the screenwriting contest somehow since I got fantasy for this one, but couldn't make that work and was spending too much time trying.
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:06pm
This was my first time doing WB and I'm looking forward to the battles!

Got SF (seems many of us did!) and only used two swaps for the object. Am so used to make the best of strange prompts that the swaps and many options stressed me out. Probably why I locked it in early. Might dare to swap more next time. Really like my final story though and am so excited to see the feedback. 
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:17pm
I stand correct about the number in each genre... Drama had the least. Which means more people swapped away from Drama or did not finish their story.

Sci-Fi ~80ish
Paranormal Mystery was the second most popular! ~70ish
Fable ~60ish
Then a distant fourth was Drama ~50ish

I am shocked. I honestly have not been able to predict the most popular genres every single competition. Seriously, I'm hugely wrong every single time.

Which means if you stuck with Drama, then your odds just went up a little. Some people can look at this as being unfair, but I see this as a part of the competition (it's also unavoidable... regardless if people redraw because they could just not finish their story... it happens in NYCM too, except WB gives you more control). When you go to redraw your genre, you could ask yourself: "Wait. Why am I redrawing? Is everyone else redrawing this genre too?" -- it plays into the Pop Culture contest. I love it :D
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

I stand correct about the number in each genre... Drama had the least. Which means more people swapped away from Drama or did not finish their story.

Sci-Fi ~80ish
Fable ~60ish

I am shocked. I honestly have not been able to predict the most popular genres every single competition. Seriously, I'm hugely wrong every single time.

Which means if you stuck with Drama, then your odds just went up a little. Some people can look at this as being unfair, but I see this as a part of the competition (it's also unavoidable... regardless if people redraw because they could just not finish their story... it happens in NYCM too, except WB gives you more control). When you go to redraw your genre, you could ask yourself: "Wait. Why am I redrawing? Is everyone else redrawing this genre too?" -- it plays into the Pop Culture contest. I love it :D

Well, dang! Now I extra wish I'd gotten drama, haha! Looks like there's some stiff competition in sci-fi!
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:22pm
Interesting! I would never trade Drama away in a million years. Drama is milk and cookies for me. Okay, wine and cookies, but you get the idea. Wink

Sci-Fi ~80ish
Fable ~60ish

northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 2:07am
Each time I’ve done this contest, I’ve been assigned a genre I either hate or completely don’t understand (with the exception of “breakup story” for screenplay and I ended up doing a little better there!) But I’ve stuck with my genre each time because I want to learn something new. 

Maybe next time I will actually swap!

Good luck, all. Excited to judge tomorrow!

-Alex

Edited by northernwriter - 09 Aug 2022 at 2:08am
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:47am
Last time I had vampire romance and that was actually a lot of fun! This time I rolled paranormal (had to work hard not to go full x files LOL) and kept the genre because again, it's just not something that I think of writing. 

Sci-fi is my comfort zone so I'm excited I might get to judge some sci-fi duels.
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:05pm

Sci-Fi ~80ish
Fable ~60ish

Thanks for sharing the numbers! When you do a swap, is it completely random or does it favor the other genres that have fewer people in it at that moment? 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:33pm
That is so interesting about drama because I'd love to get that one. But I liked the one I got and didn't want to swap in this case. 
Pumpkincurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpkincurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:37pm
Hello Max and everyone.

I'm a little late to this forum. I'm sure others have already expressed regrets that the NYC and Writing Battle contests were on the same weekend. I guess if there is a lot of WB talk on this forum, I would assume a bunch of us were in the same boat...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>