NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 100 Final Prompt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro 100 Final Prompt
    Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:24am
Open / laughing / lift

Wow, that’s vague. Good luck to all participants.

Edited by Dark&StormyNight - 30 Jul 2022 at 12:24am
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:33am
I tend to try to avoid drafting anything ahead of time for these because I've always had to completely throw all premeditated ideas I've had out the window due to the specificity of the prompts. Now I wish I'd drafted a few yesterday so I could pick a favorite to build off of. I could add "laughing" and "lift" into anything LOL Oh well, I have a Super Rough First Midnight draft for me to completely rewrite when I wake up properly in the morning (fell asleep at around 10pm ET and set my alarm for midnight so I could get my wheels turning), so at least that's something haha. I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with!
FireflyKaylee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:57am
So so vague. Like I was hoping the prompts might steer me towards a genre but no. Nothing. This is going to be tough. 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:38am
Okay, I've settled on an idea. But it's a risk.
A) it's historical fiction which is not something I've written before. 
B) it's based on a part of UK history which may be too niche for the judges
C) it's feminist and with Roe vs. Wade I don't know if it will end up a bit political for judges

Hopefully can get some beta feedback to assuage concerns. 
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:00am
Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

C) it's feminist and with Roe vs. Wade I don't know if it will end up a bit political for judges

This sounds super interesting; I can't wait to read it if you choose to share! Hopefully the judges will appreciate the piece! I'm flip-flopping between two ideas--one's more straightforward and better put together but feels kind of cliche, and the other is Out There. Probably more attention-grabbing, but it'll just end up falling really flat if I don't execute it correctly. I guess I have 15 hours to decide LOL
KanishkT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KanishkT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:18am
I have entirely zero ideas. RIP. 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

This sounds super interesting; I can't wait to read it if you choose to share! Hopefully the judges will appreciate the piece! I'm flip-flopping between two ideas--one's more straightforward and better put together but feels kind of cliche, and the other is Out There. Probably more attention-grabbing, but it'll just end up falling really flat if I don't execute it correctly. I guess I have 15 hours to decide LOL

Thank you! I always think go for the out there. I'd rather shoot for something big and miss, than play it safe and never have a chance of winning! 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireflyKaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:51am
Originally posted by KanishkT KanishkT wrote:

I have entirely zero ideas. RIP. 

You'll get there! Go for a walk/shower/whatever sparks your imagination. You can do this. 
kayelizarod View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayelizarod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:59pm
As I sit here trying to pull something out of my poor brain, I find myself missing the more rigid framework of earlier rounds. Ugh.

Oh well. Here's to all of us giving it our best shot!
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

Open / laughing / lift

Wow, that’s vague. Good luck to all participants.

This is the second time I've made it to a final and the last time the prompts were vague too. I'm starting to think they do it deliberately to make sure they get a wide range of stories, but it sure as heck is challenging. I like something to work against.
Not much inspiration. I've mashed up something else which has been floating around in my head and tried to write my first ever horror. (I'm not expecting to place in a final anyway, so why the heck not? Nothing to lose!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>