NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Summer Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Hey Max, what happens if we don't manage to submit anything? Do we still get to judge other submissions, or are we just out? 

Hi, sorry just seeing this now. I keep forgetting about this thread because NYCM tucked it away in the dark Everything Else place :( haha

Unfortunately, if you don't have a story in the battle, then you aren't assigned duels. You should try to submit something! You don't have to share it in the Debrief Forums after if you're not proud of it, and the feedback might still be helpful (regardless of how proud you are of the work).

Thanks, Max! I was ready to call it quits but I managed to submit something anyway. I think my process for writing contests just goes: 

Get prompts
Get idea
Procrastinate
Start writing
Despair
Seriously consider quitting (the contest and writing in general)
Snack
Just write the damn thing

Looking forward to the duels!

LOL Snacks make everything better! The key has always been snacks. Haha love this list by the way. You should write a blog about the steps for the despair of writing. I think it would do well :)
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 12:14am

Hey Max, what happens if we don't manage to submit anything? Do we still get to judge other submissions, or are we just out? 

Hi, sorry just seeing this now. I keep forgetting about this thread because NYCM tucked it away in the dark Everything Else place :( haha

Unfortunately, if you don't have a story in the battle, then you aren't assigned duels. You should try to submit something! You don't have to share it in the Debrief Forums after if you're not proud of it, and the feedback might still be helpful (regardless of how proud you are of the work).

Thanks, Max! I was ready to call it quits but I managed to submit something anyway. I think my process for writing contests just goes: 

Get prompts
Get idea
Procrastinate
Start writing
Despair
Snack

You usually write a pretty damn good thing every time, so I'm glad to see you ended up submitting something for this Writing Battles! :)
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

Get prompts
Get idea
Procrastinate
Start writing
Despair
Snack

You usually write a pretty damn good thing every time, so I'm glad to see you ended up submitting something for this Writing Battles! :)

Thank you! Can't wait to see what you came up with this time!
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 12:14pm
It's my first time participating in the Writing Battle and I'm SO excited!! I caught COVID over the weekend and locked in my prompts in a (literal) fevered frenzy on Saturday night. I had no idea how I was going to complete a story with all the brain fog I was experiencing yesterday but thanks to my sweet boyfriend's gentle encouragement and conscious efforts to keep my coffee cup full, I was able to submit something I am pleased with. So excited to start reading and judging stories. This was so much fun, and I am eager to participate in future ones. Smile
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 12:09am

[QUOTE=pondsandfrogs][QUOTE=bluevervain][QUOTE=maxbjork]

Thank you! Can't wait to see what you came up with this time!

Nothing for me this go-around for Writing Battles -- ended up choosing NYCM's Short Screenplay this weekend and couldn't do the double-duty. Next one!
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:39am
Received the duel schedule this morning, can't wait to read some stories! Hopefully mine will be well received also, but either way I'm looking forward to receiving the feedback. Best of luck fellow warriors.
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by WhistlerCrowe WhistlerCrowe wrote:

It's my first time participating in the Writing Battle and I'm SO excited!! I caught COVID over the weekend and locked in my prompts in a (literal) fevered frenzy on Saturday night. I had no idea how I was going to complete a story with all the brain fog I was experiencing yesterday but thanks to my sweet boyfriend's gentle encouragement and conscious efforts to keep my coffee cup full, I was able to submit something I am pleased with. So excited to start reading and judging stories. This was so much fun, and I am eager to participate in future ones. Smile

Welcome! I hope you have fun judging! For a lot of people, it's their favourite part.

Sorry to hear that you got COVID. That must have been brutal trying to write...
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:12pm

Welcome! I hope you have fun judging! For a lot of people, it's their favourite part.

Sorry to hear that you got COVID. That must have been brutal trying to write...

Thank you! I am SO excited about reading and judging other people's stories. I've been looking forward to that part since I discovered WB a little over a month ago. 

I appreciate that. It definitely hasn't been fun, but I'm coming out on the other side of it finally. It was awful! I kept crying and trying to explain to my boyfriend how utterly frustrating it was to know the words I wanted to use but not be able to get them onto the page because of the horrid brain fog. Probably the hardest time I've had writing anything in years. 
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 7:13am
Just checking in, fellow Battlers. How is everyone finding their duels so far? I have done four, and my last one isn't until Monday (officially Sunday but time difference). I have read some really good stories and one absolutely remarkable one which I can see winning its genre - giving nothing away obviously. Seriously been blown away by some imaginative pieces. 

Out of curiosity how are people judging which story is 'stronger'?
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
GS2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:00am
I'm having so much fun with my duels thus far! Already 3 down, and luckily in my case there have been pretty clear winners each time. 
In general, I'm looking at (1) does it fit the genre (2) is it a good story arc then (3) writing style as the tiebreaker. 

There's one story in particular that.... just wow, one of the best shorts I've ever read in the genre. full stop, no caveats for *written in a weekend* 
I hope to see that person get announced as a finalist so I can reach out :) 

Love the competition! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>