NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disqualification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

After going through some Craig’s List Judges, (let’s be fair-there were some good ones), and contestants getting angry, NYC hired some decent judges. Hey, those of you who did SSC- did you hear of many people complaining that the judges were rude?  Or that they didn’t think the judges even read their story?  No, the judges have definitely gotten better. But this also means that more people, not less, can expect a Dq, because the rules will be applied more evenly. 

Do I regret pushing the limits with my story? Absolutely not! I’m excited about what I wrote, and if the judges Dq me, so be it. A disqualification will not take away the joy I feel at coming up with such a unique tale. 

Again, this is just my opinion. Soot

I am a salt MACHINE about one of my judges and I agree with this 100%. I have seen the judges across every level of the contest improve since I started in 2018. One or two duds doesn't undo the work of the other judges. (E.g. 1846 from my group, who wrote a ton of helpful feedback)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:20pm
I was disqualified  in one contest because I didn't notice I used carried when the word was carry. I thought all "tenses" were valid.

While the judges in my most recent entry provided better feedback, one said I shouldn't have used the word "think" which was required LOL. Of course the action would have been conveyed better in 100 words but there are constraints. 

Edited by Mrsnetpro - 08 Jul 2022 at 6:24pm
BA! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 12:47am
What does a DQ look like? When and how will I find out?
‘23RhymingR1PrimeTime™

‘23FC500BlemishesOfPerfection
BA! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 12:48am

Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

I was disqualified  in one contest because I didn't notice I used carried when the word was carry. I thought all "tenses" were valid.

While the judges in my most recent entry provided better feedback, one said I shouldn't have used the word "think" which was required LOL. Of course the action would have been conveyed better in 100 words but there are constraints. 

Mrsnetpro, as I understand it when the prompt is the word (not the item), as in micro-fiction, then the word must be spelled the same. So, 'carrying' would be fine, but carried would not. Taking that to the extreme, if your word is 'ball' and you used the word 'ballyhoo' - I think that is acceptable. 

ZoeLou - I just read that you changed the prompt 'fair' to 'fairy' - awesome example!

Here's the excerpt from the rules:
Word – The assigned word must be included in the story exactly how it is spelled and continuously (no spaces), but it may be capitalized in any way the Entrant chooses and it may be part of a longer word. For example, if the assigned word is “courage”, then using the word “courageous” or “encourage” would be acceptable because it contains the exact spelling of the assigned word and it is used continuously (no spaces). Using “Courage”, “COURAGE”, or “CoUraGE”, would also be acceptable.

Edited by BA! - 10 Jul 2022 at 4:04am
‘23RhymingR1PrimeTime™

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 12:51am
Originally posted by BA! BA! wrote:

What does a DQ look like? When and how will I find out?

They will usually tell you at the end of your feedback, at least that is how I have seen in others feedback.
They don't make a big deal of it with big red letters or anything, just sort of slipped in at the end, it will have the reason as well.
BA! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 3:31am
north_north_west, I very much appreciate this response and apologize that I overlooked it until now.

First off, your story is beautiful and complex. You either have an intimate understanding of Inuit culture, or did some hellacious research. The story reminds me of authors and books that I haven't thought of in some time, namely, the books of Kathleen O'Neal Gear & W Michael Gear, and Piers Anthony's "Tatham Mound". It's very skillful in what I'd consider a very difficult subject matter/time-frame/voice - all those things. Despite those complications, you still managed perfect rhythm.

On the subject of your disqualification, honestly I can see both sides. I think the strong argument FOR it being SciFi is in the fact that it is historical, therefore, the science is also historical. I think one definition of SciFi would be - using science in a way that seems mystical. Our hero here has an understanding of what the lodestones do, but no understanding of how or why. When he is confronted with the failure of the lodestones, he most definitely tries to understand from a mystical standpoint. For those reasons, I think they should have accepted this as SciFi. 

Secondly, in my opinion, if the head of the whole thing said it should qualify, they should have done something more for you. Either advance you to the next round - a similar situation is described in the rules (I'll add it at the end of my comment), or at least give you a refund or similar consolation/apology prize. I understand your sourness. 

Third, I think the best revenge would be to pursue with a frenzy getting this published in a SciFi publication. When you get it accepted, rub their noses hard all up in it. The day before David Baldacci got his first novel accepted, "Absolute Power", his boss, a partner at his law firm berated him mercilessly on being a horrible writer. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSB9-jfzndA at the 40 minute mark. I'll leave you with this quote from that book.

“Today might not be so good. But tomorrow, you got another chance to get it right.”
― David Baldacci, Absolute Power

Oh, and I promised a quote from the NYCM rules - 

9a. Adding Additional Writers to Groups – If it is determined that any error(s) may have occurred in the judging process through the feedback and/or scoring which would change the list of advancing writers and our judges were not able to confirm in time for the next round to begin, all writers in question would advance to the next round. Any final determination of judging errors, additional advancing writers, and number of participants in each Group is in the sole discretion of the LLC and any such decisions by the LLC are final, conclusive, and binding upon all Entrants. 

Originally posted by north_north_west north_north_west wrote:

Always happy to share my complaints!  So I wrote this

and the feedback came back tagged, 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ADDITIONAL NOTES FROM NYC MIDNIGHT - This story was disqualified for not adhering to the assigned genre (Sci-Fi). While there are references to science with the loss of the Earth's magnetic field and it influences the actions of the characters, the elements of Drama and Action/Adventure overshadow any Science Fiction elements.

And then I exchanged an email with the guy who runs these contests, who said, "In your case, we did feel that the loss of Earth's magnetic field could be classified as Science Fiction, but it was overshadowed by the survival of the Salluit villagers (Action/Adventure) which was present from the very beginning of the story on the whale hunt and the emotional development of the characters (Drama)."  

In my opinion if the story as a whole could credibly be classified as science fiction, they really shouldn't disqualify it.  Drama and Action/Adventure and whatnot really are in most stories.

In fairness, some of the  beta readers did say that it didn't read like sci-fi to them. But I can still point to several classic stories (Nightfall, Bears Discover Fire, The Ugly Chickens) which are quite similiar to this!

Anyway, thats my story...

Edited by BA! - 10 Jul 2022 at 3:34am
‘23RhymingR1PrimeTime™

Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 11:55am

Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

Mrsnetpro, as I understand it when the prompt is the word (not the item), as in micro-fiction, then the word must be spelled the same. So, 'carrying' would be fine, but carried would not. Taking that to the extreme, if your word is 'ball' and you used the word 'ballyhoo' - I think that is acceptable. 

ZoeLou - I just read that you changed the prompt 'fair' to 'fairy' - awesome example!

Here's the excerpt from the rules:
Word – The assigned word must be included in the story exactly how it is spelled and continuously (no spaces), but it may be capitalized in any way the Entrant chooses and it may be part of a longer word. For example, if the assigned word is “courage”, then using the word “courageous” or “encourage” would be acceptable because it contains the exact spelling of the assigned word and it is used continuously (no spaces). Using “Courage”, “COURAGE”, or “CoUraGE”, would also be acceptable.

Oh I accept responsibility for that, just gave it as an example. The judges didn't notice, it was admin that did. I found it amusing that in this most recent competition my submission would have done better if I didn't use the word.
Woodshell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 6:48pm
This is an interesting thread. Do you get a notice from the contest that you've been DQ'd when the results come out? Or do you just not place and have no idea why not.
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Woodshell Woodshell wrote:

This is an interesting thread. Do you get a notice from the contest that you've been DQ'd when the results come out? Or do you just not place and have no idea why not.

You're notified at the bottom of the feedback email you get from NYCM a day after the results are announced.  After all the judge's comments, there's a line similar to this:

NOTE FROM NYCMIDNIGHT: This entry was disqualified for "x" reason

Trey
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
BA! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:36am
Thanks for the lively discussion!

Good news - bad news, I guess. I was not disqualified in the micro-fiction, but I also did not advance. Actually, one of the judges complimented me on the ending - the ending where my MC decisively did NOT do the action which I was assigned (hopefully that makes sense without context). 

{2104}  Your final two lines were excellent, truly powerful. Well done!  

Stay tuned (if you'd like) to hear the result of my flash fiction blunder.
‘23RhymingR1PrimeTime™

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>