NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSC R3: Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

[QUOTE=JanetM][QUOTE=jenspenden]

I'm really just proud of myself for submitting a story. My mom LOVED these contests and helping me through them. So, I took it as a sign she wanted me to compete when I made round 3 (which I originally decided I wouldn't do if I somehow made it that far). Looking forward to reading your story too! 

That's so beautiful! I'm sure she would have wanted you to.!

( My mother is my biggest fan, too. I feel bad sending her horror, but it is what it is. Wink)

Edited by JanetM - 23 May 2022 at 4:13pm
G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
dgb86 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgb86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:50pm
Another Group 8er (Drama/Phishing/A Tutor) checking in. I am always looking for ways to stretch my prompts, and I reeeaallly stretched it here. I was struggling for story ideas about traditional online phishing scams, so I used a slang definition of "phishing" - as in, attending Phish concerts lol. But I threw in a fake ticket scam for good measure. I guess we'll see what the judges think...

Gone Phishing

After Alix Freeman's older brother was killed by a drunk driver, she thought she would never feel happiness again. But perhaps there is a way to reunite with him through a shared love of their favorite band....

Congrats to everyone on finishing their stories!

SSC1 A Bright Idea Too Many
2020 SSC 10th Place Without Country
SummerGirl87 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SummerGirl87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Addie-Ish Addie-Ish wrote:

G3 / Horror / Money Laundering / A Locksmith

I ended up writing this at a music festival...not the best environment to craft a horror atmosphere. But it is, thankfully, done! 

THE FOOD CHAIN

Jessie never wanted to swindle the poor, but she’d do anything to keep Jeanie away. That crunching sound, that radiating hunger—God, everything, everything was worth it to keep Jeanie away.

We ended up in the same group twice in a row haha can't wait to read your story this round - you knocked it out of the park last round :) 
SSC R2: Appalachia
sdre017 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sdre017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 6:11pm
G4 / Fairy tale / gold rush / estimator

Ergh, fairy tales. Went down the rhyming route for this one to try and motivate myself to write. Last minute logline not great but... oh well!

THE FORTUNE ESTIMATOR

Come one, come all, step up to the booth,

Trevor will calculate what is the truth.

He’s got estimation right down to an art,

Just don’t double-cross him—it wouldn’t be smart.

Loving the group 4 turnout!

Addie-Ish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addie-Ish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by SummerGirl87 SummerGirl87 wrote:

Originally posted by Addie-Ish Addie-Ish wrote:

G3 / Horror / Money Laundering / A Locksmith

I ended up writing this at a music festival...not the best environment to craft a horror atmosphere. But it is, thankfully, done! 

THE FOOD CHAIN

Jessie never wanted to swindle the poor, but she’d do anything to keep Jeanie away. That crunching sound, that radiating hunger—God, everything, everything was worth it to keep Jeanie away.

We ended up in the same group twice in a row haha can't wait to read your story this round - you knocked it out of the park last round :) 

Thank you for your kind words! I'm excited to see you in my group again---your story really stuck with me and it was no surprise to see you make it through :) I'm looking forward to your story as well!
Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:34pm
Group 9: Romantic comedy / Noise pollution / A Keynote speaker

I may have run out of creative steam by the time i needed to create a title and logline. Mostly I'm happy to have completed anything. I had time set aside to write on the weekend, but I found these prompts super hard.

The Sweetness of Flirtation

Logline: When a keynote speaker has to cancel their speech after it’s already begun because of noise interference, her biggest fan is devastated. But sometimes good things come out of devastation.

PMS_Chicago View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMS_Chicago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:08pm

Group 1: Thriller, Interception, Alumnus

Forget the Earth  

An emergency patrol races time and gravity to rescue a museum ship that is falling from orbit around Europa.

I will return reviews!

MF 100 R2
FF R1
JamesQLD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:03pm

G1 - Thriller/Interception/An Alumnus

Steady Footfalls

Hunted by an implacable foe, agent Sofija finds refuge in an unlikely location.

PMS_Chicago View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMS_Chicago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:43pm
Seriously looking forward to the group 1 stories and I have no misconception that I have the slightest chance of advancing. 
I will return reviews!

MF 100 R2
FF R1
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

[QUOTE=JanetM][QUOTE=jenspenden]

I'm really just proud of myself for submitting a story. My mom LOVED these contests and helping me through them. So, I took it as a sign she wanted me to compete when I made round 3 (which I originally decided I wouldn't do if I somehow made it that far). Looking forward to reading your story too! 

That's so beautiful! I'm sure she would have wanted you to.!

( My mother is my biggest fan, too. I feel bad sending her horror, but it is what it is. Wink)

Oh my gosh, my mom would always cry, "Noooo!" every time I got assigned horror. I love the genre, but she wasn't a fan. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>