NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSC R3: How's it going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 11:57pm
Down to the wire and just submitted! Good luck, everyone! Who's doing the logline thread?

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 11:59pm
Also, the story I submitted was my third attempt! I outlined two others and I just didn't feel them, so I threw them out and started fresh today. Can't wait to see what everyone did!

-Alex

Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
JamesQLD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:00am
Group 1 submitted just in time. It is bad. I wanted my villain to seem implacable, but he comes off as bland. Annoying that I knew it was a boring idea from the get go but just wanted to get something on the page and figured I could edit it into something decent later. And then there was no time. So now it's just this corny wannabe thriller with wonky characters and 80's cheeseball action lines I had as placeholders but couldn't think of anything better. Ah well 
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:08am
Three minutes to spare. Had the least time to write of any challenge because of commitments and I felt every reduced minute of it. Lucky to have some last minute readers.  Whew. Just glad to get it in. 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I was group 1 (thriller / an interception / an alumnus) just submitted a historical sci-fi crime caper ... thriller. Beer It was stupid but fun. Can't wait to see everyone's stories!! 

Yours sounds awesome, I can’t wait to read it. Mine was, similarly, an historical action-adventure fantasy…thriller. They can’t DQ all of us!

Honestly though, this one was grueling. I’ve never done so much redrafting, and I still wasn’t happy with what I submitted, but proud to have finished it.

Yessss I cannot wait to read this! I (unselfishly) bet you're safe :3

Getting a plot-heavy genre in this word count is really tough, I totally commiserate! I'm sure you did great <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:08am
Originally posted by AubreyZahn AubreyZahn wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I was group 1 (thriller / an interception / an alumnus) just submitted a historical sci-fi crime caper ... thriller. Beer It was stupid but fun. Can't wait to see everyone's stories!! 

Yours sounds awesome, I can’t wait to read it. Mine was, similarly, an historical action-adventure fantasy…thriller. They can’t DQ all of us!

Honestly though, this one was grueling. I’ve never done so much redrafting, and I still wasn’t happy with what I submitted, but proud to have finished it.

I'm in the same group and went pure WW2 historical thriller. We are all in a similar boat. Can't wait to read both of yours! 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by JamesQLD JamesQLD wrote:

Group 1 submitted just in time. It is bad. I wanted my villain to seem implacable, but he comes off as bland. Annoying that I knew it was a boring idea from the get go but just wanted to get something on the page and figured I could edit it into something decent later. And then there was no time. So now it's just this corny wannabe thriller with wonky characters and 80's cheeseball action lines I had as placeholders but couldn't think of anything better. Ah well 

Hey groupmate!! We've all been there <3 I think you should be proud for putting something together, as thriller is a really tough genre (imo -- the first time I got it I completely washed out that round!) I bet with a little distance, you'll find a lot more to appreciate about it. Maybe the parts you're worried about will be the bits that really set it out from the pack

Great job and I hope you choose to share, because I'd love to read! Hug
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Hilary36 Hilary36 wrote:

... I’m pretty sure I just wrote more words for this post than I’ve been able to dredge up from the depths of my wrung-out psyche in the last two hours. 

Congrats, you're officially part of the NYCM family Heart Hug Everyone's in it, but you really feel it during your first oh-god-what-am-I-doing pre-deadline panic. It sounds like you made good humor of it all and I really hope you're proud of it now!! It's hard as HELL to write a story this fast, and you did a great job <3

SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:56am
Well done everyone for getting their stories in! After a gruelling day in an airport and a delayed flight later, I arrived in a foreign country to discover I'd somehow submitted my story with an out of date synopsis with the re-named main character's original name in it. Going to see if I can buy a baseball glove today so I can do the biggest facepalm in history Sleepy

Oh well. Hopefully the judges won't notice LOL
leolegras View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leolegras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:55am
My crushing doubt isn't about the story itself, but about whether I stretched the limits of the genre a bit too far and am firmly in scifi territory 🥴 we shall see!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>