NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finals and Genre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wordygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finals and Genre
    Posted: 21 May 2022 at 12:35am
I am in the third round and am very excited. But I need to know something before I commit to a plot for this time. The FAQ is not clear about whether or not the writer is assigned a genre in the final round. Are they? Or do writers get to choose? Thanks! 
L.B. Schulman
http://www.LBSchulman.com
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 12:56am
Hi there, congrats!! I’m assuming you’re talking about the short story comp? This is the third round so you will have been assigned a genre for this story (it’ll be on the assignments page). For the final round (in June) everyone is given the same set of prompts with an “open” genre, which means you get to choose.

Hope that helps and best of luck!!

Edited by ZoeLou - 21 May 2022 at 12:56am
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
wordygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wordygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 6:00pm
It does answer that one. That's a clever solution for the final round. One last questions (we Virgos have to know everything), if we are lucky enough to make it that far, does which genre one picks matter at all? Or are they all looked at equally by content only? (If that's not clear, then what I mean is, would someone who choses something challenging, like political satire be on the same footing as someone who chose something more popular, such as romance?) I am guessing the answer is, they are all equal...since what is hard for one person might be easy for another.

Thank you.
L.B. Schulman
http://www.LBSchulman.com
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by wordygal wordygal wrote:

It does answer that one. That's a clever solution for the final round. One last questions (we Virgos have to know everything), if we are lucky enough to make it that far, does which genre one picks matter at all? Or are they all looked at equally by content only? (If that's not clear, then what I mean is, would someone who choses something challenging, like political satire be on the same footing as someone who chose something more popular, such as romance?) I am guessing the answer is, they are all equal...since what is hard for one person might be easy for another.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, that part is blind luck. The judges are 100% anonymous, and there's no telling their personal preference. The best bet is to always write your strongest story. I've seen sci-fi, fantasy, speculative fiction, comedy, drama, literary fiction, narrative poetry, magical realism, horror, historical fiction, suspense, thriller, and romance--and many combos thereof--in the top 10 in NYC Midnight final rounds.

There's a breakdown of the judges' scoring rubric in the official rules agreement on the short story contest website, btw. Good luck with round 3!

Edited by taaaylor - 22 May 2022 at 7:21pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply