NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For the writers who didn't advance to SSR3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 3:47pm
I didn't move on either and wish there were more stories posted in my group so I could see what I was up against. I really thought my story was good, except for one weak plot point, and genuinely thought I'd move on. Maybe I'll revamp the story and submit it somewhere.

Oh well. It was still fun writing a new genre and I'll definitely try again next year. Until then, I'm waiting for results for the 100 challenge and I've signed up for the flash fiction one.
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:15pm
I think this is a very common experience. It’s really not very clear just what the judges are looking for. In very general terms my experience is that stories I am happier with tend to fare worse than those I like. I think, in the end, it is more important to achieve what you set out to do, rather than to please the judges.
What does irk me a bit though, and it has occurred numerous times, is that the very thing that one judge likes is what another sees as it’s failing.
All that said, I am sure that all those progressing are highly deserving of it, and I wish them all the best.
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:30pm
That is a comforting article, Vandy. Thank you.
The idea that rejection allows you membership to a club boasting the Gods of Writing among its numbers is paradoxically uplifting.

On the other hand, one wonders how many great writers - far greater than I could even aspire to be, submitted a work of brilliance only 150 times when a 151st attempt may have changed the course of their personal history.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Pages Pages wrote:

I didn't move on either and wish there were more stories posted in my group so I could see what I was up against. I really thought my story was good, except for one weak plot point, and genuinely thought I'd move on. Maybe I'll revamp the story and submit it somewhere.

Oh well. It was still fun writing a new genre and I'll definitely try again next year. Until then, I'm waiting for results for the 100 challenge and I've signed up for the flash fiction one.

I don’t know which group you were in, but if it happens to be group 3, you are welcome to read mine. I didn’t post because I haven’t had time for feedback lately. Good luck in flash!

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Originally posted by Pages Pages wrote:

I don’t know which group you were in, but if it happens to be group 3, you are welcome to read mine. I didn’t post because I haven’t had time for feedback lately. Good luck in flash!

-Alex

Thanks - but I was in group 29: spy / an experiment / a strikebreaker
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Vandy Vandy wrote:

But this time, in SSR2, I spent the entire weekend writing, editing, obsessing. I gave it my 100% best shot. I was happy with my story. I thought it was good. I still think it was good. The judges apparently didn't. 

I've been doing NYCm contests a long time and here's a little perspective. Just because you did not place, does not mean that your story was not good, or even that the judges didn't think it was good.

There is a huge range of experience and ability in the contestants, from green folks who have never even written a piece of fiction before, to people who are widely published, professional writers, professional editors, MFA & creative writing teachers, etc. In each round you are competing only against the people in your group, and who the people in that group are is the luck of the draw. 

You can be randomly thrown in with a bunch of inexperienced writers, and find yourself advancing even when you aren't able to submit your best effort. You can also be stuck with a bunch of ringers, and have the deck stacked against you with fierce competition. Often in that case, when there are a lot of great stories, it comes down to the judges subjective preferences, not quality. And it's absolutely impossible to tell where you will fall out when on average only 10-20% of your group posts in the forums. 

The great news is, you have a story that you are happy with and that's worth its weight in gold. Maybe give it a polish and try submitting it for publication! 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 20 May 2022 at 12:20pm
Mhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:22pm
Thank you  for  the  link - I needed some encouragement! I was really delighted  to  get through the first round actually- that was a first for me! The feedback is fair I think (I got stuck in the middle and ran out of time) but I'm still disappointed not to get to try this again. Trying to build up the motivation to write something without a deadline and prompts and honestly not sure where to begin!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12