NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For the writers who didn't advance to SSR3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Vandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the writers who didn't advance to SSR3
    Posted: 18 May 2022 at 11:54pm
In the last NYCM contest I entered (Flash maybe? It's all a blur...) I was at the giddy start of a new real-life romance and just wanted to have a nice weekend with my new love and didn't really bother to try in R2. My story was terrible - I noticed after submitting that I had a zillion typos, zero plot, and called my MC by 3 different surnames that I missed when editing. Got a HM, which led me to believe that the other writers in my group hadn't even bothered to submit. 

But this time, in SSR2, I spent the entire weekend writing, editing, obsessing. I gave it my 100% best shot. I was happy with my story. I thought it was good. I still think it was good. The judges apparently didn't. 

Here's something I found that's making me feel a little better. If you're in the same boat as I am, I hope this is helpful for you too. 

Cheers to us. 

https://www.writingroutines.com/renowned-writers-on-overcoming-rejection/
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 12:12am

Sometimes there is no understanding the judges. I thought your story was great, touched a lot of nerves while taking people into places they might never see - living in a single room with one suitcase of belongings, always drunk... Anyway, you have a good story and next time!!!!

BaliFan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaliFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:05am
I've been doing Flash since 2015 and Short Story since 2016. I'm actually writing much better stories than I did at the start, yet my results have been worse. Trying to understand the judges will drive you crazy and at times they're not logical at all - I once got zero points for a story because it dealt with suicide and the main judge apparently got triggered. (one of the other judges hinted at disagreement among them). I no longer expect to win and just do it for the experience now. 
From the Office of Chaos
divacultura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote divacultura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:12am
It's all a learning experience. I didn't make it through to the next round and think my second round story was better than my first round story. Sadly, none of the stories that made it through were posted on the forum, so can't even learn from reading. 
BUT it's all great! It's such a subjective process - both the writing and the receiving - and there is so much learning and creativity to be had in the working. 
We have our federal election here in Australia over the weekend and I am needed to work, so that is some pressure relieved! 
Looking forward to receiving the feedback from the judges and thinking about what I'll write next!

Well done everyone for writing anything at all!

Tanya
R2 250 Black Sunday
R1 SS Spy
R1 250 1st
BaliFan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaliFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:15am
Ha Tanya, know what you mean about the relief! I have to work intensely next week because Biden is visiting Japan, so I would have been just fine not going on this time. So of course I did. If it's too hard a topic I probably will pass
From the Office of Chaos
Caro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 3:34am
I didn't expect to advance as I didn't grasp the horror genre early enough in my first draft. But I learnt a lot and enjoyed the writing. I think it's left me with a story I can rework into something less horror and more to my style. Looking forward to next year already with just the smallest of pangs to not advance. A big shout out to the readers who not only helped with my writing but supported me with kind messages and encouragement. 
Caro
hungrywriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hungrywriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 5:35am
I’m honestly shocked yours didn’t advance, I thought it was wonderful! It still randomly pops into my head occasionally. 
Thanks for sharing the nice words, it does help to know we aren’t alone!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Caro Caro wrote:

I didn't expect to advance as I didn't grasp the horror genre early enough in my first draft. But I learnt a lot and enjoyed the writing. I think it's left me with a story I can rework into something less horror and more to my style. Looking forward to next year already with just the smallest of pangs to not advance. A big shout out to the readers who not only helped with my writing but supported me with kind messages and encouragement. 

Your story may not have been blood and guts horror, but it had a uniqueness all its own that I liked. 
divacultura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divacultura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 7:49am
Originally posted by BaliFan BaliFan wrote:

Ha Tanya, know what you mean about the relief! I have to work intensely next week because Biden is visiting Japan, so I would have been just fine not going on this time. So of course I did. If it's too hard a topic I probably will pass

I hope you have something inspiring!
Now I wait for the results of microfiction and eagerly await the start of flash fiction !
R2 250 Black Sunday
R1 SS Spy
R1 250 1st
Charthorrr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charthorrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:35pm
I wasn’t expecting to go through R2 with this one as I didn’t feel my story hit the mark for my genre but I have to say I’m quite disappointed with the feedback I received. My story had a twist at the end which they said they would have liked to have known up front, which kind of defeats the point of it. It’s one of my favourite stories I’ve written but I got a lot less, lacklustre positive feedback than my negatives. 

I know it’s all subjective but it feels weird to me to have picked up so strongly on something that felt quite integral to my story. 

Well done to everyone who went through and everyone who didn’t. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>