NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why hasn’t anyone checked my story yet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RforFilm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why hasn’t anyone checked my story yet?
    Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:04pm
Not to be that person, but I haven’t had a single response yet on my 100 word challenge 
LisaBelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:06pm
I'd recommend critiquing stories in the forum, People generally try to return reviews. Or most do any way. You could even add to your signature that you will return reviews. Make sure you add a link in your signature to your story so it's easy for people to return the favor, and if you haven't put yourself on the master list that would be helpful. I find a lot of times, group mates are very good about renviewing each other's stories.

Good luck.

Edited by LisaBelle - 26 Apr 2022 at 9:14pm
mightyhammer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightyhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:59pm
You need to build a clique and post at least 1000 messages first, then your story will get pages of comments within an hour, all gushing about how good it is (even if it's terrible). 

It takes time but if you put in the work the rewards are obvious! Wink
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:58pm
What Lisa said. Make sure you’re on the Master List, put a link to your story in your signature (there’s a thread with instructions) and read and comment on other stories. People will gladly return the favor, but they have to be able to easily find your story without searching through 20+ pages.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 12:47am
I agree with what everyone else has already posted.

- I think the most important thing is to make sure you have a link to your story in the signature of your post so when you comment on someone else's story they can quickly click the link at the bottom of your post and get taken directly to your story to return the read.

- Another good tip would be to mention on your story post page that you will return all reads/comments you receive. A lot of people like to get comments on their stories so they seek out people who say they'll return reads.

- Make sure you get your story on the master list as well because a lot of times your fellow group mates will read all the stories within their group first so you have a built-in readership there.

- There is also an element of cliquey-ness or familiarity some people feel with each other. I've noticed that people who have done particularly well in past competitions tend to get higher numbers of readers and also people that have been around for a while. If you build a presence on the forum that always helps.

- And last but not least, the last time I looked at the master list there were over 500 stories posted. That's a ton of stories to get through so it might take some time. Especially if your story happens to be in a higher numbered group that appears at the end of the master list...Often times people start at the top and work their way down so it might just take them a while to get to yours.

Hopefully this helped. Smile
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 1:33am
What everyone else said.

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug the 11:59 Workshop Discord! We've got a great community, built off the wonderful community on these forums, and folks are super supportive. Come hang out with us!
500 Final - Like a Sailor's Lady-Love (Sci-Fi)
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 3:42am
Originally posted by jayscottink jayscottink wrote:

What everyone else said.

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug the 11:59 Workshop Discord! We've got a great community, built off the wonderful community on these forums, and folks are super supportive. Come hang out with us!

Wow, I didn't know about that workshop group before now. Thanks for letting us know - I just joined and OMG I feel a bit overwhelmed with the look of it haha. It's going on 4:00AM here so I'll explore it a little more in depth later once I've slept a bit. Looks like a great resource though. Thanks again.Smile
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 6:22am
Yes to what everyone else said - key is to review other people's stories but also to have a link in your signature so people can find your story to review it. That's really how they all get read.

In this post there are instructions about halfway down for how to add a link to your signature:

BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 6:24am

What everyone else said.

Yes this is a good group. I left it earlier this year (last year?) but lots of good people there.
BA! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 3:21pm

What everyone else said.

Thanks! I'm gonna check this out too. The title is almost on point. I love the 11:59 part, but why not NYCM 11:59, or NYC11:59? Mostly being rhetorical.

‘23RhymingR1PrimeTime™

‘23FC500BlemishesOfPerfection
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>