NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2022 Screenwriting Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALR8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:31am
Hi there! Just curious if the brackets are ever publicised? Such a great competition - it’s my first time entering and I love the idea of peer feedback. It’s why I do these NYC ones :)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:11am
Originally posted by ALR8 ALR8 wrote:

Hi there! Just curious if the brackets are ever publicised? Such a great competition - it’s my first time entering and I love the idea of peer feedback. It’s why I do these NYC ones :)

The contest started out that way, you could follow it along, but then I guess people started not doing their judging once they were out so Max had to change things around to keep people around and judging.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

The contest started out that way, you could follow it along, but then I guess people started not doing their judging once they were out so Max had to change things around to keep people around and judging.

Shame, but smart.

Looking back on the Flash Battle, it looks like the bracket is available to see once it’s out of our hands and goes to the professional/industry judges. So we’ll know the top few stories in each genre and how we fared up until that point as long as this contest is the same.
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:46am

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the judging process.

As others have mentioned, yes -- you will get to see the tournament brackets (I think starting June 5th... Around then. Up to and including Quarter Finals, then the next day Semis, then Finals. There is a Tournament Viewer, but also a PDF infographic, which I just got working last night actually haha.

For those that participated in Feb's  FF, I will release the PDF infographics for those tournaments shortly. It's pretty cool! I can now autogenerate a giant PDF of the entire tournament with a script I wrote. Just playing around with the visuals now... But it will be nice for everyone to have both the tourney viewer and the PDF because I know the viewer was confusing to some people.
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:39pm
Oof that last battle was so good!! And crazy hard to pick a winner - two fantastic break up scripts. I'm kinda sad I've finished all my duels. Thanks for all your work in creating and organizing and running this fun experience for us, Max!
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:23am
Originally posted by nickwascreative nickwascreative wrote:

I wrote like a skurvy dawg with my swashbuckler story and the true booty is that I found a new favourite genre to write in, YARRR.
Still made it funny though, can’t help myself.

I think swashbucklers have always been funny to some degree. There's a delightful over-the-topness to them, even if they have a lot of serious action as well.

BTW--I found myself enjoying the judging part too. Lots more fun when I don't have to apply a full-fledged rubric.
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 5:58am
Hey for those reading this thread that are patiently waiting for the R1 results of NYCM Screenwriting competition and also have a scheduled writing battle duel to judge this weekend... If you make it into R2 and you need extra time or you need your duel re-scheduled, it's no problem at all. Just email me admin@writingbattle.com -- all good. We are ahead of schedule anyway. It's possible that the participant-judging-portion of the tourney will be over by Saturday and the top 2 scripts from each genre will be sent to the Industry Judges early (which means some people will not have a fifth duel).

@Rachel M - No problem! Good to hear you're enjoying it :)

@JeffreyHowe - Agreed on the comedy in swashbucklers. What I've noticed is that a lot of the Swashbuckler scripts went down the path of "LARPing" or someone living out a fantasy -- which I wasn't really expecting, but it's interesting that a lot of people went in that direction. Good to hear you're enjoying the judging!
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

What I've noticed is that a lot of the Swashbuckler scripts went down the path of "LARPing" or someone living out a fantasy -- which I wasn't really expecting, but it's interesting that a lot of people went in that direction. Good to hear you're enjoying the judging!

Oh, how interesting! I got Swashbuckler and I went maybe the less creative route of writing a more traditional pirate story. I hope to read some of the other swashbuckler stories in the forum to see where others took the genre! Kills me that I wasn’t able to guage what others did with it!
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:05am
That’s a wrap on my duels, glad I got to do all 5. I think my favorite was a Western all the way back in Round 1. Very anxious to see the brackets when peer judging is complete.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:10am

Same here. Finished my 5th an hour ago.

Edited by Suave - 26 May 2022 at 12:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>