NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviewing peers from my group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedaduffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviewing peers from my group
    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:24am
Hi, I am a newbie to the challenge. Is there anyway to look at posted stories from the same group that I am in?

I am registered in the master list, however, I do not see anyone from my own group (#98) registered.... I tried using the search option, but perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,

David (davedaduffa)
Read my 1st Round story titled Attention to Detail

SweetLoretta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetLoretta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:50am
Hi David

I am a fellow newbie and I'm not aware of any unwritten codes but I am sure anyone posting to the Master List  who finds themselves all alone in their group would have several people from other groups willing to trade reviews with them. 

I feel lucky that six of us have posted in my group but I was going to try to make a personal point myself of connecting with anyone not able to review and be reviewed within their group. Additionally, perhaps to also look at other stories in your same genre? I know it's not quite, er, the same... but this community is amazing, and I'm sure others will comment on their own past experiences too...

Very best of luck in the competition!

SweetLoretta :)
SSC R1 G13: Wake Up Call
Ghost Story/Oversleeping/A Roommate
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 2:25am
Hi David,

Not everyone posts their stories and/or they don’t post immediately, so keep checking back on the list. In my group only one other has posted at the moment, I would love to read more from my group too.

As you have probably found, the more you review the more your story will hopefully get read and reviewed too, focussing on stories with similar genres might be beneficial while you wait for someone to post from your group (fingers crossed they do).

Best of luck!
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
davedaduffa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davedaduffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:25am
Thanks to both of you!!!

I hear you with the reviewing and the exposure that participating in that provides... I'm just not the greatest critic/reviewer...  :)

I am definitely glad I entered this, if only for the library of great SS's in searchable genres (lol)!!!!

Cheers, thanks again and good luck!!!
Read my 1st Round story titled Attention to Detail

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:45am
Hi!

I only have one other in my genre that posted as well, sometimes you 
get lucky and lots of others join you, other times none. What I do it read
writers from the same genre but different heats. That way people return 
reads and they are in the same boat as you. What you see in the master 
list is pretty much it. So you have to explore!
No one says be a literary critic, read the piece, say what 
you liked, and if you don't feel comfortable leaving any nits, don't.
Have fun with it. 
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by davedaduffa davedaduffa wrote:

Thanks to both of you!!!

I hear you with the reviewing and the exposure that participating in that provides... I'm just not the greatest critic/reviewer...  :)

I am definitely glad I entered this, if only for the library of great SS's in searchable genres (lol)!!!!

Cheers, thanks again and good luck!!!

Hi Duffer!

Welcome to the forums! As others suggest, you can still make a great study of writers in the same genre if no one posts to yours. We always hope more will post, but you can still get lots of reviews and reading.

I used your link in your signature and it took me directly to the document. For your signature, you'll want to use your post link, not your document. That way people who want to leave you comments who are returning your read from a post you made, or want to read yours as it pops up in the new reads feed, can easily leave you a comment without going to the master list.   So you'll want to put this in your signature line instead:

*REMOVE THE * WHEN YOU COPY IT. Otherwise it makes the link now and you can't see what I wrote (thanks @Taaaylor for that tip).  

Where it says"SSC R1" you can also switch out your own title like "Attention to Detail" if you have enough character space.

I'll read yours now! :)

Edited by iress - 28 Jan 2022 at 9:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply