NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt Envy for SS22 R1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 4:00am
I'm terrified that I may jinx myself by saying this but I've gotten 5 different genres for my 5 stories since I joined:
Comedy
Thriller
Ghost Story
Historical Fiction
Romance
and I've been thankful to not repeat any and to try styles I haven't done before.
I'm especially thankful I've not gotten the ones I really don't want being polsat, spy, crime caper .  That being said, I also don't want Comedy again, that was a struggle. I'd be happy to do Ghost story or Historical Fiction again.
I'd love to get sci fi, fantasy, fairy tale, horror, drama. 
Cue the universe now never giving me these ones.

From the prompts this round, the ones that I was drawn to:
40 Hist Fic    Landlocked    A Blood Brother
17 Sci Fi       Parenthood   A prize winner
210 Mystery    Extracurricular    A role model

Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:15am
Thank you so much for putting this together, incredibly interesting to see all the prompt combos.

Most of the Fantasy options I'd be happy with and also like the look of these...

63    | Fairy Tale         | Ageless                              | An oarsman      

140 Ghost Story        | Make-believe                         | A stepdaughter  

10    | Fairy Tale         | A flood                              | A quitter      

HF - I found my prompts quite dry at first (52) but looking at the group all the prompts seem a bit uninspiring to me (except perhaps 40), maybe it's the genre, maybe it's me?!?

Number 83 jumps out as properly random, can’t wait to see the different stories these particular prompts have inspired...

83    | Thriller           | Maternity                            | A missileman    

Thank you again!

Edited by Lulumacmac - 24 Jan 2022 at 5:16am
I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
iBenj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:50am
I think I was pretty lucky with my prompt (comedy + around-the-clock + a motorcyclist), so prompt envy really hasn't reared its green-eyed ugly head.

But I have to admit, I'm curious to see how I'd do with polsat. I exist entirely within a cloud of sarcasm, almost genetically coded for the genre.

It took my overactive imagination about 36 microseconds to form a serviceable plot revolving around polsat + a severance package + a talent scout. Might even write it eventually...
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:47am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

.... Western would be an option. 

Hush your mouth...  LOL
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:23am
I don't think I ever want Political Satire, but PS with a subject of dietary supplements would be right up my alley.

I would love Western as a category!
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:55am
Originally posted by cford cford wrote:

I'm terrified that I may jinx myself by saying this but I've gotten 5 different genres for my 5 stories since I joined:
Comedy
Thriller
Ghost Story
Historical Fiction
Romance
and I've been thankful to not repeat any and to try styles I haven't done before.
I'm especially thankful I've not gotten the ones I really don't want being polsat, spy, crime caper .  That being said, I also don't want Comedy again, that was a struggle. I'd be happy to do Ghost story or Historical Fiction again.
I'd love to get sci fi, fantasy, fairy tale, horror, drama. 
Cue the universe now never giving me these ones.

From the prompts this round, the ones that I was drawn to:
40 Hist Fic    Landlocked    A Blood Brother
17 Sci Fi       Parenthood   A prize winner
210 Mystery    Extracurricular    A role model

I was in group 40 (I think we had a forum exchange in the initial "What prompts did you get?") Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I only wrote about 1300 words and didn't submit in time. I'm extra bummed because I really loved these prompts and have a great outline (and half a story) set in a small mountain town in West Virginia coal country in the late 30s. 

I was going to post it anyway, but when I read it back, it is even less complete than I thought so I am going to finish it up and put it through beta on the 11:59 Discord server. 

17 was the other that really called to me too!
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:35am
Honestly, I wish I'd got comedy, but I think that's because last year I'd never written a comedy story before and was very proud of the story I came up with!

I would have had a LOT of fun with this one:
| 205   | Comedy             | Eco-friendly                         | A stuntperson           |

The slapstick potential is through the roof...
Krystyne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krystyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:46am

[/QUOTE]

…. I thought so I am going to finish it up and put it through beta on the 11:59 Discord server. 
[/QUOTE]

11:59 discord server? Tell this semi-newbie more…
2022 - SSC R1 H198: Karma No one holds a grudge longer than Death.

2020 - SSC R1 H75: The Lemonade Stand
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Lulumacmac Lulumacmac wrote:

Number 83 jumps out as properly random, can’t wait to see the different stories these particular prompts have inspired...

83    | Thriller           | Maternity                            | A missileman    

Hahaha that's me! Definitely threw me into a spin and I wasn't inspired at all... until I stole Group 23's sunseeker prompt and just smushed it all together ;)

I've had a pretty broad spread of genres, but from the ones I haven't tried I love the look of:
Group 91 - crime caper / a costume party / a petsitter (so much fun!)
Group 34 - ghost story / a hidden room / an understudy (it'd work well with an idea I almost wrote for microfiction)
And... dare I say it... Group 15 - pol sat / a tipping point / a drama queen could be interesting?

SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Krystyne Krystyne wrote:

…. I thought so I am going to finish it up and put it through beta on the 11:59 Discord server. 
[/QUOTE]

11:59 discord server? Tell this semi-newbie more…
[/QUOTE]

I bumped the post, but I also put the link to the post below (the link to the discord is in the post). It's a pretty great space where you can submit for beta on any piece, not just NYCM, via a bot. You just follow the requirements and it splits your request into its own feedback thread. There is also a place where they list other contests, celebrate publications, general writing check-ins, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>