NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote look_im_a_cloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy Ideas
    Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 1:13am
Action/Adventure
Semiweekly
An oral surgeon

When I got my prompt, I went on a whirlwind of idea gathering. I started out with a dentist for superheroes, to a dentist for superheroes with parent issues, to a mafia guy who was a dentist and loved his mother, to a mafia guy who had a kind heart and turned into a tooth fairy, to the superhero guy who was hiding his heritage because he wanted to be a dentist, to finally, a guy who grew up as a tooth fairy and left the life to be a dentist, only he got sucked back in for one day.

I pretty much went into this unconventional Adventure prompt with pretty much no action in it, thinking that it might be well written enough to at least merit a thumbs up from the reader as they pass by my story for being too cross genre'd... until just now when I was refreshing my prompts to list them in this post, and realized that at one point my character calls himself an 'Orthopedic surgeon'. *Facepalm

Oh well. It was fun to hope for a moment that I might have done enough to move on.

What crazy ideas did you get stuck on for your prompts?
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:57am
Thriller
A banquet
A choreographer

I love your train of ideas, though. I would read stories with those premises, every one! Hopefully when it's mistyped words and random things like orthopedic instead of oral...the judges give us a bit of wiggle room. Fingers crossed for you. 

For 5 days, I was set on my character being an ex-military who'd been selected as maid of honor so she could protect the bride from a mafia goon who was gonna crash the wedding and kidnap her. 

Then I had a very different take on my prompt and wrote an entirely different, MUCH BETTER story in the last couple of days. I love how the prompts make us write stories we would NEVER write otherwise. 
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:55am
My story (Fantasy/Writer's Block/ A Romantic) was originally about a George R. R. Martin stand-in getting more desperate as his fantasy series stalled out because the actual fantasy world he based it on was getting pretty bleak and nothing interesting was happening... But it just didn't have legs.
Zephrey London View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephrey London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:47pm
Suspense/A price war/ A landowner

My first story was about Danny Montgomery, his lover Rosemary Thayer and their shared neighbor Carlton Chadwick. In one version Danny finds Rosemary in his study and she dies in his arms. The premises was going to be that Danny and Carlton was going to be in a price war over her land because Danny wanted to expand his ranch as it was sentimental to him, and Carlton had killed her for it because he had discovered there was oil. I realized it read more like a mystery than a suspense and I knew nothing about anything I was writing, so it would never be able to come out natural. The second version it was Rosemary who was going to be trying to kill Danny and get his land with Carlton. The third version I took out Rosemary and was just going to have the two landowners go at a piece of land. I had four different versions before I was like NOPE-DELETE. I then changed from third person to first person and I am happy what I came up with after :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply