NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Titles and Synopses!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 37>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:39am

Group 7 - spy / a road trip / an activist 

What Maeve Can See

When an introvert computer addict is forced on the annual family hiking trip, she faces a choice.
Pull away, or re-connect. 
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:45am
Group 133 Crime caper/community service/mastermind

The Wonky Origin of Charleen “Pharm-Queen” Jones

A failed influencer with a lavish lifestyle finds criminal inspiration with a Tiger Cubs youth group. Will she obtain her prize or get more than she bargained for?
AngryAnderson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:46am
223: Fairy Tale, Nidification, A Shut-in

A New Little

Thirteen-year-old Little is given the job of taking food to his Grandfather, who lives imprisoned alone in the deep, dark forest. The short trip leads to a journey of self-discovery, and a transformation that will last forever.

This was my first time entering. I hope I did OK. I tend to like darker genres, so I was confused by the genre, until I realized most fairy tales are really dark anyway. 

Edited by AngryAnderson - 23 Jan 2022 at 7:47am
AngryAnderson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:50am
QUOTE=taaaylor]
Thank you for posting this, Zoe! <3 

Group 223 - fairy tale / nidification / a shut-in

The Snakes That Are in Your Heart

Nidah lost her heart the day her mother was eaten by a giant snake. But, when she goes down into a snake nest to kill the snake that ate her mother, she must choose between her vengeance and her mother’s memory.

At last! Someone with the same group as me. I really struggled with nidification and ended up using it as a metaphor. Good luck !Smile

Edited by AngryAnderson - 23 Jan 2022 at 7:53am
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:00am
Group 148
Rom Com / A dinner party / A mind reader

Remember Me Not

A woman apprehensive about love finds herself falling for a man she meets every month at a dinner party for people with supernatural powers.

LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:07am
Group 57: Fantasy/ writer's block/ a romantic

Remington and the Chivalric Bug

A Faustian bargain has unforeseen temporal consequences for gentleman J. George Blythely and his resourceful valet. With apologies to P. G. Wodehouse.

I've been wanting to write about these characters in this style over a year now, and never found the right plot for them, so this competition let me fulfill a writing dream. I'm really happy with the result.
eviewolfe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eviewolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:08am
Group 206 / Comedy / Persistence / A Waterman

The Third Stop.

A weary boatman picks up his last fare for the night; two mildly tipsy girls on their way to an exclusive party who continue to try get off at every stop but their own.

SweetLoretta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetLoretta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:40am
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie and absolutely delighted to be here, after eying the competition for the last few years. It is wonderful to have stumbled upon this vibrant and supportive community and I am astounded by everyone's creativity and inventiveness, going by these eclectic titles and often amusing synopses. 

I was, as I have subsequently discovered, in very lucky Group 13 - 

Ghost Story / Oversleeping / A Roommate.

Wake Up Call

A college-age psychic medium and the ghost of a past student find themselves as unlikely but fortuitous roommates. His current troubles and her decades-old death tether them to one another in a surprising way.

I think I might kiss the ground in gratitude another few hundred times. Reading through the prompts most of you have had to wrestle with have made my head pound. Though I am hoping my execution will be enough because my story idea is really obvious and as tired as my subject prompt!
SSC R1 G13: Wake Up Call
Ghost Story/Oversleeping/A Roommate
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:49am
THIS STORY SOUNDS AMAZING!! I can't wait to read it. 
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:53am
Group 82: Drama, Game Changer, Spokesman

The Sort of Darkness You Can Drown In

The alcoholic union leader of a coal mine in Appalachia fights for updated safety measures while his pregnant wife fights to reclaim her husband from the grips of his addiction. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 37>