NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you prefer to use the assigned character?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you prefer to use the assigned character?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by NeilWhitfield NeilWhitfield wrote:

Here is a question, kinda related: I got 'A Foreman' as my character brief. I've decided to have a serial killer called ' Jarrod A. Foreman' because it's just where my story has landed. Having a victim as a foreman felt throwaway.

Do you think I'll get away with it for 'creative solution' points?

Or do i need to crowbar the actual job in?

I think one of the points of the strange prompts is to prevent people from writing stories in advance and then just tweaking them to 'fit' the prompts. It's one of the few ways they have of making sure the participants really create their stories inside of eight days.

So my test is generally: Could my use of the prompt make it look like I shoehorned it into an existing story? If the answer is yes, I go deeper with the prompt.
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:53pm
I've never had them as the protagonist. When I did it last year, I'm R1 and R3 they were the romantic partner of the protagonist and in R2 they were a companion. For this one, mine is part villain/part substantial reason for plot but only appears in person at the start.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by JaySun JaySun wrote:

Most definitely won't work. The point is that you need to have a character with that job or at least have some association with the job. It's not suppose to be easy. I got a recycler... Trust me it takes quite a bit of thinking lol

Or not. As I said above my highest scoring short story entries don't have the prompt character physically appear and in one case they're never named at all. In that case almost all the reader knows is the quality required by the prompt (disabled.) 0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123