NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Originally posted by jojo11 jojo11 wrote:

Anybody else got round 101 - Fantasy, A toy maker, an intelligence test?  

Also can anyone tell me how to reply to an individual's post?  I can't seem to reply to a post directly although I can see some people doing it!

Thanks.

Click quote instead of reply.

Okay thank you, let's see if that works here.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm
Done. It's the bleakest thing I've ever written and probably riddled with plot holes (for some reason I decided to turn a ghost story into a mystery, and sometimes it felt more like constructing a model than writing) but still, 12 hours to spare - luxury! 

Edited by theinquisitor - 22 Jan 2022 at 12:18pm
Gherkert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gherkert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm
I'm in!
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:07pm
On the home stretch! Beer Good luck everyone that's writing :)

When I have a bit more time, I'll definitely try one of the NYC Midnight Prose competitions. Looks fun!
BuryBadBooks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuryBadBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:07pm
12 hours to go! I'm uber happy with mine thanks to all the amazing beta reader buddies. You guys rock! I've read some fine ass pieces myself this past week. This contest is cutthroat, man!

I think I'm going to re-read it a few more times and then submit in a few hours so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Good luck everyone! Star
You read mine, I read yours. SS #1: Grand Finale
JackClames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackClames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:41pm
1850 words down and 75% of a (relatively) polished first draft in the can. I think I have an appreciably silly title for my extremely daft comedy too.

Not too bad, all things considered.
SSC24, R1 G122 Game, Set and Match
lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:42pm
At 2,498 is it DONE! I made a family drama out of spy but it is written!

Good luck with those final edits and that limbo dance under the word limit everyone, I'm headed to the wine cellar (otherwise known as the fridge).  
APDiggs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:48pm
Done.  A Political Satire at just over 2300 words.  This was nerve-wracking.
P. Mills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P. Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by APDiggs APDiggs wrote:

. I just finished mine and realize it's not really satire even though I'm trying to wave my magic wand.  I'm going to give it one more try. What do you think the minimum amount of words should be to develop this story fully? 1k , 2k?  My husband thinks I should submit and take my chances. I've never been disqualified.  
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by P. Mills P. Mills wrote:

Originally posted by APDiggs APDiggs wrote:

. I just finished mine and realize it's not really satire even though I'm trying to wave my magic wand.  I'm going to give it one more try. What do you think the minimum amount of words should be to develop this story fully? 1k , 2k?  My husband thinks I should submit and take my chances. I've never been disqualified.  

Depends on the story.  We have 2,500 words, and invariably I only use 2,500 of them.  If there are extras I look for places that can use more development.  The last day is spent on word swaps to squeeze in a little extra development, or add little details that make it feel more 'real'.

Then I submit and realize I utterly failed to explain a bit of jargon and need to find a few extra words, or I add a little detail that only someone in the business would know, but it makes the story feel more authentic.

And submit again.

...and notice I left a contraction where it no longer belongs, and submit again...

I think my record is 14 submissions.  I'm on my third.
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>