NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 38>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Caro Caro wrote:

Thank you for this explanation, I'm struggling with Crime Caper too. Maybe I need to be more outrageous

I went a little over-the-top outrageous with my Round 1 Crime Caper last year (like, there's no way this heist would have worked in real life), and it went over well with the judges (3rd place). 
Matthew J. Gleason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew J. Gleason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:23pm
I've started and restarted my rough draft a couple times. Now I'm about 600 words in and it looks likely to run on the shorter side.  I can't say I was thrilled about getting assigned historical fiction and it took me a couple days to even get the beginnings of an idea.
Matthew J. Gleason
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Caro Caro wrote:

Thank you for this explanation, I'm struggling with Crime Caper too. Maybe I need to be more outrageous

My foray into crime caper focused on a group of people trying to boost a goldfish. It got me an HM in the 3rd round of Flash, so take from that what you will.  If anything, just be conscious of adding toooo many characters, which I think is common in Crime Capers. Better to have a team of 3 fleshed out people than 5 with only bones, ya know?  
indie500 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indie500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:28pm
This is my first time doing this contest. I hate my prompts and have tons of ideas for everyone else's prompts but only crap ideas for mine.

But I am going to finish this because I paid the money. Probably never will again though. It is too much of a crap shoot.
dikaoras View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dikaoras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:30pm
First time taking part and I felt I was blessed with crime caper genre, especially since I really enjoy writing humorous crime stuff from the other perspective, but damn I'm struggling! I have my first draft (currently double the word count though rip) and I feel I have a solid idea - though my ending is currently very wobbly - but I think I'm overthinking everything. Are they zany enough? Is it going too smoothly?
Doesn't help that I'm doing this on the back end of an awful writer's block period. 
Any tips? Just push through and persevere? Scream into the void??? Currently doing the latter.
Good luck all!
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
I'm pretty sure I'm out for this one! I have an idea I like a lot, but this week turned out to be too hectic and I just haven't had time to work on it. On the plus side, I have a story idea I wouldn't have had otherwise, and I'm looking forward to writing it on my own time. Normally I'd be beating myself up over this but I'm fine with it. Life happens.
Keeks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:45pm
A little over half-way word count wise. Lots of deep breaths, but I like where it's going so far.
Sparkvan77 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sparkvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:49pm
Barely started. Science Fiction is not my forte at all. Disappointed with all my prompts. 
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm
I'm going to go with my first idea (finished) even though it got a cool reception from readers. At least the members and judges feedback will be useful. It's a fun story but missing that oomph! that I like. 
It's a soft boiled egg in a way, lol. 

Hopefully this decision will bring to life a better idea. 
Sci-fi, reservation, a sunseeker.

Maybe I'll try to write a genre that I enjoy and just pick it up and stick it on a spaceship..

Looking forward to the Feb.4th writing battle.

fronny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
Thanks for that advice. I shall tweek my characters quirky levels when I redraft!
Sensory Projection
Read my challenge #2 story titled The Liberation of Carlotta Sosa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 38>