NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SS prompts! What'd you get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

No worries, but delete the link in your signature, too. Three days after the submission clock ends, we get an email from NYCMidnight. 

after the clock tonight, we can post titles and first 3 words...or something

Titles and synopsi.  The first three words is for the micros.

Story after the all-clear, and even then you post up there ^ in a thread that hasn't been created yet.  You never post down here in the general topics.  Listen to Janet.  She won't lead you astray.

I expect someone to reply to this with their entry, though.  That's how things work.
This sig intentionally blank
jamagan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:07pm
Is there information posted somewhere about how entries are judged? I've already submitted, so it's really just for curiosity. 
I've seen posters mentioning losing "points" and wasn't sure how many total points you can get, and if you find out your score. 
If you make it to the next round, does your score carry over and keep building or does it reset?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by jamagan jamagan wrote:

Is there information posted somewhere about how entries are judged? I've already submitted, so it's really just for curiosity. 
I've seen posters mentioning losing "points" and wasn't sure how many total points you can get, and if you find out your score. 
If you make it to the next round, does your score carry over and keep building or does it reset?

There are actually two judges, Mr. Capricious and Ms. Arbitrary.

Honestly the judging has gotten much better, but there are still hiccups here and there.  There is almost certainly a sheet where points are assigned for various things, we know points get lopped off with a hedge trimmer for things like going over on words and not meeting the requirements of the prompts. 

No, we don't get to see the score sheet.

In some contests they do assign points (0-15) and in those contests there are multiple rounds guaranteed, generally two, but not this one.  Here you move forward, or you don't.  Every round.  Nothing carries forward.
This sig intentionally blank
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by jamagan jamagan wrote:

Judging is 70% story, 15% spelling and grammar, 15% formatting. But we never find out what score we get. We get told the top five and honourable mentions in each group, but that's it. No, the score doesn't carry over - it's just top five each time that go through.
angelnblakvelvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote angelnblakvelvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:31pm
Thank you!! Janet, you're my new friend. Big smile
AngryAnderson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 7:11pm
Group 223: Fairy Tale/Nidification/A Shut-in. As a HS English teacher, submitting my story today made me realize how hard that process is. I grade my students on so many different criteria, and I probably failed on a bunch of them myself. Even if I don't get through (and frankly, fairy tales and nidification are not my thing!) this was a great experience!

Edited by AngryAnderson - 23 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm
Laurianepdp View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurianepdp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 7:20pm
I'm in your group Kneazle !! And I just submitted mine ! Hope it went well for you!! 
Nehasrivi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nehasrivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Hygiene/ homebody/ thriller
robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:25am
Originally posted by jbosworth20 jbosworth20 wrote:

Grp: 28 Horror, expedition, a mentor

Heres to not overthinking this one excited though!

How'd it go, groupmate? 
SSC2023 R1, G188 RomCom/Outdated/Mediator: The Empath & the Sorcerer
robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 12:27am
Originally posted by writerlykate writerlykate wrote:

Group 28 Horror. A mentor. An Expedition Cry

Hey groupmate, me too! How'd it go? I waited until the last day but finally pushed through to submit something. 
SSC2023 R1, G188 RomCom/Outdated/Mediator: The Empath & the Sorcerer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>