NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evelynwhy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:31pm
Thank you, Suave! I appreciate it. I feel bad for not posting my stories after submission, but I don't wanna psyche myself out. Tongue
Evelynwhy1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evelynwhy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:33pm
Honestly, I kind of hoped I'd be out for the same reason. My college graduation is on the 11th... Talk about stress. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Evelynwhy1 Evelynwhy1 wrote:

Thank you, Suave! I appreciate it. I feel bad for not posting my stories after submission, but I don't wanna psyche myself out. Tongue

Haha, it is not for everyone. 

I did not realize they were only advancing 3 from each heat. Those are
tough odds with the quality of the writers there.
casey4004 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casey4004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:42pm
I got 2nd place in my group! This story was so hard for me...I cried for two days trying to write it and almost didn't submit. I honestly cannot believe it. Worst weekend ever to write though...I'll be out of town visiting friends I haven't seen in forever.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:41am
Another HM here. I'm sure I'll be pleased in the long run, but the initial reaction is disappointment. The most frustrating thing is that none of the top three posted here, so I can't see what beat me.
Congrats to everyone going through! 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:35am

My 6th Flash, and my 5th time washing out with a HM in the semi-finals. This one stung a little more after going to the finals last year. It's a bit of a shame that no one in my group who placed posted. I always love to be able to read the winning stories.

Ah well. Congrats everyone and good luck to those of you writing this weekend! 
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by casey4004 casey4004 wrote:

I got 2nd place in my group! This story was so hard for me...I cried for two days trying to write it and almost didn't submit. I honestly cannot believe it. Worst weekend ever to write though...I'll be out of town visiting friends I haven't seen in forever.
< ="text/" ="https:////forums.nycmidnight.com/f8db5b5547d93ef167b094ef5c73485f56e752bb4971141abb5cda8ffb88c8ee/inject.js">

Congrats!!! I hope you feel vindicated. 

Sometimes I feel like the judges KNOW when we'll be busy, and think it's funny to make us write again.
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:49pm
I only experienced the ghost of disappointment to not advance. I liked my story and didn't think it was IMPOSSIBLE it would advance, but 4 characters is a lot to squeeze into 1000 words and I knew it. I'm pleased with my HM, and honestly kind of glad I get to relax this weekend. 

It also helped that I got some excellent, specific feedback from two of my judges (1943 and 2151)- possibly the most helpful feedback I've gotten ever. Though I confess I have a slight bitter flavor from the feedback of judge 2109 whose "what needs work" included "add more detail" (okay, and what do suggest I cut to make those details fit?) and that the story was "more fantasy than action/adventure" and that I should add "more action/adventure tropes", but didn't indicated what those tropes might be. I kinda thought my fight scene, explosion, and narrow escape were pretty in-line with the genre, but hey.

...Okay that paragraph indicates that there's more than a "slight flavor" of bitterness. 

WHATEVER. I'm going to make gingerbread houses this weekend instead and take a few weeks off before the short story contest kicks off next month!
KLJS03 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLJS03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 11:42am
I'm happy enough with an HM, especially considering what I felt to be lacking in my story.  I was pretty pleased with the judges' feedback, as well.  It echoed the forum reviews and none of the "needs improvement" suggestions were out of left field.  For the first time, I KEPT my enormous first draft.  It contains all the missing elements the judges noted.  Never mind it's over twice the acceptable length! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12