NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Justice" G109 Sci-Fi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Justice" G109 Sci-Fi
    Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:07am
"Justice" G109 Sci-Fi 
Locking eyes
Vote

“Good morning temporary being!”

The voice was liquid sarcasm.

“Welcome to dCloud, I am Minister for Collections and Corrections. You are prisoner Simpleman?”

Simpleman shrugged within connected electrodes and restraints.

“Prisoner, fool! You paid Deletions Inc. a considerable sum to erase all data relating to your crime; correct? Did you think you could get away with murder?”

Simpleman’s eyes rolled.

“So naive.” Minister sighed. “See, when you create a video, a photo, type a sentence, you have brought into being something that previously didn’t exist. You have created matter. Matter can’t be destroyed. When you hit delete, those characters and pixels, don’t just cease to be. My Ministry collects and stores them in dCloud. We can’t have cyber space clogging up with randomly discarded ones and zeros, can we?

And the best bit? Deletions Inc. is a division of my Ministry of Collections. Oh no!”

Simpleman moaned.

“When serious crimes occur, we make collated deletions available (for a fee) to aggrieved parties to pass judgement. As a result, your victim’s family has voted to have you digitised, then… deleted!

Collect connect correct!

Justice!

You will soon be reunited with everything you have erased: troll hate, compromising photos, pop up ads, your exes, and of course, your plans for murder. All that you thought was gone, is all you that will see, for eternity! Welcome to dCloud. Welcome to hell!”

Simpleman convulsed, shimmered, pixelated.

“Meet your fate.” Minister sneered. “Delete!”

With that, Simpleman locked eyes with the man he had killed.
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:58pm
Hi there!
This was an imaginative use of the prompts. It is an interesting sort of spiritual angle…if there’s no guaranteed hell in the afterlife, then why not assure a man made one on earth via modern technology? You have a very unique premise and good world building. 

I did find myself wanting a little more from Simpleman, or at least some small clues sprinkled throughout to understand what he did so I can see what kind of killer he is. Initially he seems arrogant and bored, but if he isn’t remorseful, he may not find this “hell,” but if you indicate earlier he’s at least scared or emotional, then it is a type of justice and the final line becomes more meaningful.  But, this was still very good and not an idea I think I’ve ever come across before. Good job!

Edited by iress - 23 Oct 2021 at 10:59pm
Geoff C View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 12:00am
Hello, thanks for reading my story. Giving Simpleman a little more depth is one of several improvements I have thought of since the comp closed. I really appreciate your insights and kind words.
 Post Reply Post Reply