NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Timers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by mick0684 mick0684 wrote:

It's fun to see how we all interpreted the prompts so differently. 
That seems to be the overaching theme. I wouldn't worry about posting. Most responses are pretty positive and the only criticism I've gotten has been very helpful, constructive criticism.

I was also an Instagram man. One of my friends shared it but hasn't entered themselves. Probably trying to bully me into pulling my finger out.Big smile
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Patzg Patzg wrote:

Initially saw the contest advertised and signed up for newsletters, which I have gotten over the past year.
What are the newsletters like? Are they useful, entertaining, informative, or a bit of all three?

I'm going to read your story now.
Ellemoe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellemoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 5:06pm
Hi fellow first timers! I just happened to see an ad on either Instagram or Facebook at exactly the same time I was feeling particularly dead inside and thought okay, it’s time to dig around in the ashes and see if anything sparks. Luckily, I got what felt like a pretty easy assignment(romance), slept on it, and woke up with the entire story ready to go. That can’t happen every time, right? I don’t think I linked my story in the signature correctly yet and I have a really hard time critiquing others but the whole experience has been exactly what I need. I don’t even care if I make it past round one. It’s been so fun reading all of the entries and chatting.
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-g77-stars-at-nightromance_topic44340_post462612.html?KW=#462612
Patzg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patzg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:07pm
Actually, I may have used "newsletters" incorrectly. What I receive are markting emails, announcements of upcoming competitions, etc. And they worked!  I finally entered a contest!

Thanks for reading and commenting on my story! I have returned the favor.
Stephaniepl205 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaniepl205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:26pm
I read and wrote all of the time when I was younger and then stopped for several years. In 2019 I picked up reading again and that turned into writing again. I needed to "complete" something instead of having all these random chapters saved all over my desktop and this felt like the perfect way to challenge myself and have an actual goal! 
It was incredibly fun, and I feel so inspired and ready to join more challenges, regardless of the outcome. Reading others stories has been so motivating and I am blown away by the talent in this competition! 
MF250 R2 Lulleby's

MF250 R1 - 4th place The Letters
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Stephaniepl205 Stephaniepl205 wrote:

I read and wrote all of the time when I was younger and then stopped for several years. In 2019 I picked up reading again and that turned into writing again. I needed to "complete" something instead of having all these random chapters saved all over my desktop and this felt like the perfect way to challenge myself and have an actual goal! 
It was incredibly fun, and I feel so inspired and ready to join more challenges, regardless of the outcome. Reading others stories has been so motivating and I am blown away by the talent in this competition! 
You haven't stopped trying, so you're doing it right. Good luck in the competition.
Stephaniepl205 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaniepl205 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Man of Ulster Man of Ulster wrote:

Originally posted by Stephaniepl205 Stephaniepl205 wrote:

You haven't stopped trying, so you're doing it right. Good luck in the competition.

Thank you! I should also add that this entire community is so supportive. I genuinely did not expect that. Even though this is a competition, all the feedback given is kind and encouraging. 
MF250 R2 Lulleby's

MF250 R1 - 4th place The Letters
Patzg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Patzg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
i agree!  I didn't expect or even know about the Forum until I'd entered. I spent a LOT of time figuring out the signature link, etc. And now I am surprise dby the number of responses and how supportive and helpful they are. I am definitely learning as I go in this contest!

THank you ALL!

Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Hi Fellow First-Timers!

A friend told me about the short story contest and how the judges gave really great feedback on every submission, so I looked it up and this one, the 250 word mircofiction, was about to start so I signed up :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456