NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Timers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 7:50pm
I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum ... and TBH I can't really throw a punch or even take one.

Ok, really, a friend did the last hundo contest and really liked it, and invited a couple of us (ol' writing pals) to try the 250 out, and here I am. I haven't written much in, oh, the past 25 yrs. I enjoy it, and I'm motivated by fun and a quick deadline, so here we are.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum ... and TBH I can't really throw a punch or even take one.

Ok, really, a friend did the last hundo contest and really liked it, and invited a couple of us (ol' writing pals) to try the 250 out, and here I am. I haven't written much in, oh, the past 25 yrs. I enjoy it, and I'm motivated by fun and a quick deadline, so here we are.

Ah, a fellow Brooklynite! Welcome!!
#amrevising
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

My daughter either gifted a Flash entry to me or emailed me about it. I can't remember. Anyway, short and sweet. That's it. Smile
An encouraging family is a blessing. 
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by cford cford wrote:

The flash fiction (currently 2nd round being judged) was my first.
Saw it on facebook, headed over and checked out the website and thought what the hell!
Always loved writing but needed something to get me focused on it.
Have found it a fantastic process. The genres and prompts and time frames provide the focus,
the peer feedback in the forums is amazing, as is reading other talented writers work.
The judges feedback is also great. I feel i've improved just between the flash fiction rounds and onto microfiction. 
I think I will be a year round addict now that i've started.
Welcome, enjoy :)

That's great. I do find this a very engaged community so far. 
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

I don't think I could kick ass and chew bubble gum at the same time. 
Or separately. 
Good luck getting back into writing. 
HardtobetheBard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HardtobetheBard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
I saw an ad on Facebook for the 100 word comp. I'd written 100 word fics in fanfic before so I thought it would be fun to try an original. Also...prizes!! :')

And then I thought I might just also do Flash, and it seemed rude not to sign up for 250, and why not try to learn to write screenplays too, and here we are several competitions later and apparently I can't stop /o\
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Man of Ulster Man of Ulster wrote:

Hi all First Timers. I found myself wondering what inspired people to join the competition and how hard was it to get over the first hurdle. 

I have been promising myself I'm going to enter more competitions this year and I've spent too much time getting tied up in other things, mostly resulting in having to put it off.
When I saw this one I decided that this was my chance. I had to commit, so I signed up before I got a chance to chicken out. Confused

How did y'all else end up joining?

My friend posted about the competition and I've been "thinking" about starting a writing career instead of just doing book reviews as a full time hobby. As another friend joked (but not really) most of my texts are longer than 250 words. Tongue

I was assigned comedy, life served us a drama/tragedy of a day on Saturday instead. My brain decided it was on holidays thus taking me forever to figure out where I even wanted to start. Once I had a plot bunny hop through and I wrote my piece - I immediately realized that my subject was a bit too specialized leaving only about 1/10th of the world's population to understand my MC's dilemma. 

However - I made the 250 word limit, I hit the Submit button, and the several people I socialize with who have a slight understanding of what I was referencing in my story found it amusing. 

Any feedback is good feedback to me. I just don't expect to advance past Round 1. Live, Learn, Write. 

I'm addicted now though. I don't think I'll jump on the 100 micro, but the other fiction challenges look fun. 

I should also now start really working on an actual long project instead of pushing it off and telling my family that I'll start it "next month" or that the "characters aren't talking to me yet"
RumpleStinkbug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumpleStinkbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 11:24pm
The 250 challenge I just submitted Saturday is my very first challenge. I’ve always wanted to write and stumbled upon this 24 hr challenge on Fb. After years of on and off writing having a deadline was what made me decide to do it. I’m very competitive and I didn’t know these challenges existed! I had almost no time at all to write due to a crazy family schedule this weekend. So after everyone went to bed I was so excited to get an assignment and write! Even if my story isn’t great or doesn’t make it through I really don’t think I will be disappointed. I can’t wait to read the stories from my group and see how other people interpreted the assignment. Hopefully this will rekindle my priority to write more often.
NYJess01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYJess01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 1:04am
I saw it on Facebook and decided, “why not!” I’m looking forward to seeing if I make it to round 2! 
Eli9 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:27am
Somehow I got an email from NYC Midnight, which means at some point I came across this and signed up for emails?? I don't even know. 

I was inspired to enter because in the last few years I have come to recognize that short story is my thing. I took an international short story class when I went back to school some years back and completely fell in love. 

My favorite writer is Etgar Keret. If you aren't familiar, check out his work. He can pack a punch in a small space! 

Sometimes, when you are in a really constrained situation, it makes you more focused about what you want to say and where you're heading. The most beautiful love poems that were ever written are sonnets, composed in a very constraining form. -- Etgar Keret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>