NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results timeline?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eli9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Originally posted by Eli9 Eli9 wrote:

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

The confirmation email will arrive in around 30-36 hours' time, and it'll have the results date on it. Or at least, it'll say 'results BY 11.59pm ECT on December (14 or 15)'. So somewhere between 14th-16th December, depending where you are in the world. 

Honestly, now I'm even more confused. We actually don't get results from this round until the middle of December? But we are allowed to post our stories here 72 hours after submission to share with each other? But the judging is supposed to be anonymous. How do I know that the judges don't just hang out here looking for their favorite people to post their stories? Not to be cynical but as a first timer I want to know whats up. Thanks anyone who can clarify this for me. I figured we got results sometime this month, even this week since we were allowed to post our stories in 72 hours. Major confused. 

Yep, I know. That's always at the back of my mind too. I'd say you're realistic, not cynical.  Sometimes I post, sometimes I don't and only if I have time to return the favour and read and comment on other contestants' stories since they've taken the time to read mine. If I have other commitments, I do not post. So you'll be waiting the full hog to just a couple of days (max, hopefully) before the next round. Anyway, enjoy the experience. Smile 

It's a tad nerve wracking! So if I'm off to the next round it is fairly short notice! Yikes! Thanks for saying I'm realistic, not cynical. Hahahahaha! Probably both to be honest. Good luck to ya. It's been a lovely experience so far. 
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 1:10pm

But the judging is supposed to be anonymous. How do I know that the judges don't just hang out here looking for their favorite people to post their stories? Not to be cynical but as a first timer I want to know whats up. Thanks anyone who can clarify this for me. I figured we got results sometime this month, even this week since we were allowed to post our stories in 72 hours. Major confused. 

I think it's also fair to note that a very small percentage of people who participate in these challenges post on the forum, and not everyone who ends up placing after each round is someone who posted their work. The forum is just an extra, completely optional area you can participate in or not. And I agree with the comment that it is one of the best parts of the whole thing. 
Eli9 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:19am
Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

But the judging is supposed to be anonymous. How do I know that the judges don't just hang out here looking for their favorite people to post their stories? Not to be cynical but as a first timer I want to know whats up. Thanks anyone who can clarify this for me. I figured we got results sometime this month, even this week since we were allowed to post our stories in 72 hours. Major confused. 

I think it's also fair to note that a very small percentage of people who participate in these challenges post on the forum, and not everyone who ends up placing after each round is someone who posted their work. The forum is just an extra, completely optional area you can participate in or not. And I agree with the comment that it is one of the best parts of the whole thing. 
/

I could see that! Thanks for the response. That all makes a lot of sense. I'm looking forward to posting and reading other peoples work. I think it does seem like the best part of this particular competition! 
BaronVallon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaronVallon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:18am
I thought there was feedback within 72 hours though? Is that just notes on the writing and not the actual results then, or will we not get feedback on the submission until December either?

This is my first time, so I'm not sure how it all goes.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by BaronVallon BaronVallon wrote:

I thought there was feedback within 72 hours though? Is that just notes on the writing and not the actual results then, or will we not get feedback on the submission until December either?

This is my first time, so I'm not sure how it all goes.

We get feedback a day after we get our results.
72 hours from submission is when they officially confirm receipt of the stories, and the forums open. You can then review other stories and leave feedback, and in return people read and feedback yours. So FORUM feedback starts 72 hours after, but judges' feedback will come in mid-December. Probably the Thursday, if results come out on a Wednesday.
C.C. View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

No, you're not confused :)
Once the results come out, people stop reading the round 1 stories and move on to round 2, so having a couple of months is a positive.

Generous of you to take the time to explain this process for new participants... I have a much better sense of the activities and timeline now. Grazie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12