NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid mistakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 2:06pm

Last year I edited out my word before subbing and only noticed right before deadline. The hastily revised story was not as good, but just barely squeaked by to move on.

This year I highlighted both my word and action in my draft so I did not helpfully edit them out of the story. Sheesh. 

I also rechecked my prompts about 8 billion times before submitting after my Flash fubar....
HardtobetheBard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HardtobetheBard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:39pm
Last weekend for short screenplay I became so obsessed by the location that I forgot to add in the object, only realising after I'd sent it off to beta, and this weekend I did the same with the action and forgot to add in the word, only realising after my husband read it and was like "aren't you supposed to have 'hack' in here somewhere??" I'm sure the time will come when I don't catch it before submitting!
LindaNZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:20am
Last year I forgot it was only 24 hours but fortunately hopped on the forums at the 22 hour mark so I had two hours to write something. I realised as I was pasting it into Submittable with two minutes to go that I had forgotten the prompt word so there was a very quick and clumsy rewrite to include it. 

This year was much more relaxed 😂
Perils of Ambition 2023 500 R1 (HisFic)

Ultimate Boot Camp FF 2023 R2 (Horr
GrandStar88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandStar88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 12:20pm
This is my first time participating and I think I totally misinterpreted my genre.  The website lists romance as being about a new and developing relationship but my story celebrates a long established relationship.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by GrandStar88 GrandStar88 wrote:

This is my first time participating and I think I totally misinterpreted my genre.  The website lists romance as being about a new and developing relationship but my story celebrates a long established relationship.

Nah, that will totally fly.  :)

Edited by nod1v1ng - 19 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234