NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid mistakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:45am
Originally posted by hanalyst hanalyst wrote:

I realized at 9:02 that the version I had submitted didn't have the word in it!! Resubmitted in a panic but mehhhhhh. I was feeling so good about it too.

Someone please tell me you also did something like that so I don't feel as dumb. Confused

I was disqualified from the second round of the last microfiction. I uploaded the wrong (older) version of my story, which didn't contain the word, realised too late, tried to unsubmit and rely on an earlier edition I had submitted (which DID contain the word) and long story short I failed. 

I still got feedback. Not sure whether it made me feel better or worse to be honest. 

Bar was set far lower this round - rather than aiming to make it through to the next round, I'm just aiming not to be disqualified LOL
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:26am
I submitted and then realized I hadn’t included my *action,* and I  am pretty sure I am gonna be DQ’d.

Edited by LadyArkham - 17 Oct 2021 at 8:27am
Hanley! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanley! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:39am
My story was inspired by a more obscure definition of the word I was given, but in trying to cut down to 250 words, I eventually had to remove the sentence presenting the word in that context and add the word back elsewhere in its more conventional context. 

I'm not sure that this is something that will make any difference to people's enjoyment of the story, but it bothers the hell out of me!
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:33pm
My stupid mistake was not realizing we only had 24 hours for this one! I was busy Friday evening and all day yesterday, but told myself I could write this afternoon. Found out last night that it was too late! I'll probably still write mine this afternoon, because I've never had romance as a genre before and was looking forward to the challenge. But no contest for me this time!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

My stupid mistake was not realizing we only had 24 hours for this one! I was busy Friday evening and all day yesterday, but told myself I could write this afternoon. Found out last night that it was too late! I'll probably still write mine this afternoon, because I've never had romance as a genre before and was looking forward to the challenge. But no contest for me this time!

You can still submit it and get feedback, I think you can do that for a week after the close.
Paul Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:59pm
I thought I made a stupid mistake once.

That was my stupid mistake.

I never make mistakes, you see.

*slowly exits stage*
250 round 1

https://forums.nycmidnight.com
/topic50789_post534861.html#534861

250 R2

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-gr-21-drama-losing-keys-vest_topic51497.html
jenine.u. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenine.u. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:02pm
Luckily my word helped to develop my plot so it was impossible to leave out, or this is totally something I would have done. Was 9:00 the deadline in your time zone?
jenine.u. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jenine.u. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

You can still submit it and get feedback, I think you can do that for a week after the close.

And I can confirm the feedback is 100% worth it. Last time I did this challenge it ended up falling on the day of my friend’s wedding in Vegas. Ie, I had an hour total to get my story done. I did my best, but obviously didn’t get through. However, I’m so happy I submitted because I received very helpful feedback that helped this time around.
Zephram View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

I submitted and then realized I hadn’t included my *action,* and I  am pretty sure I am gonna be DQ’d.

I feel like an attorney (I'm not) when I stare at my final draft trying to argue both sides of "does this count as X action or not?"

-------------------
Short Screenplay: In Memory
Cheers to everyone on here!
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by hanalyst hanalyst wrote:

I realized at 9:02 that the version I had submitted didn't have the word in it!! Resubmitted in a panic but mehhhhhh. I was feeling so good about it too.

Someone please tell me you also did something like that so I don't feel as dumb. Confused

Mine had carried not carry (and I will never know how what I type changed) but that got me disqualified.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>