NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

250 micro fiction: new me new chance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tunamonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250 micro fiction: new me new chance
    Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:43am
I love when these challenges come around; I feel like I’m different every year. Before I would look at my prompt at midnight, sleep and then spend my 8-8 shift thinking about it and rushing to finish (even though I’d be exhausted from work). Don’t get me wrong, the whole saying about diamonds under pressure has its merit, but it always took a toll on me.

Now it’s back again and my whole life is different. I have a new healthier job where I actually have time to myself. I get to come home at a decent hour and will have time to even make a first draft! LOL I don’t know if anyone can relate, but I feel like a lot has changed since my last challenge.

I’m ready and this time I won’t try to stretch the perimeters and get disqualified..
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Tunamonkeys Tunamonkeys wrote:

I love when these challenges come around; I feel like I’m different every year. Before I would look at my prompt at midnight, sleep and then spend my 8-8 shift thinking about it and rushing to finish (even though I’d be exhausted from work). Don’t get me wrong, the whole saying about diamonds under pressure has its merit, but it always took a toll on me.

Now it’s back again and my whole life is different. I have a new healthier job where I actually have time to myself. I get to come home at a decent hour and will have time to even make a first draft! LOL I don’t know if anyone can relate, but I feel like a lot has changed since my last challenge.

I’m ready and this time I won’t try to stretch the perimeters and get disqualified..

So...you tried to stretch the perimeters and get disqualified?  Does that mean you were disqualified, and therefore successful?  Big smile

Pressure might make diamonds, but humans are more than carbon and the result is typically different.  It's not the pressure, it's the focus.  If you can keep that focus with your new healthier job then you have the best of all worlds!  It's awesome that you're psyched and ready!

Go make yourself proud!
This sig intentionally blank
RiceCake View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiceCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:08pm
If you want to win, write about death. In particular, a child or parent. Case in point, the two winners showcased currently on the website. I quit this contest for awhile for this reason and what I considered a lack of understanding of a variety of cultures. But, honestly, I enjoy writing for this contest and that’s truly my end goal. I guess I’m with you on my new approach. 
 Post Reply Post Reply