NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you botch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Maximum Dynamite Maximum Dynamite wrote:

Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

A beta reader caught me calling the main character by another’s name, after I submitted.  Thankfully, I was able to re-submit!  That was quite a boner!

Oops, that didn't work. Now I've gone and bonered, too. 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:48pm
I used 'you know' twice in the same sentence. I'm hopign they think he's just being endearingly awkward.
Maximum Dynamite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by ihavenoprocess ihavenoprocess wrote:

I used the word "immense" twice to describe different things. I guess everything in my story will just be "immense" - so frustrating that I can't change it! Might as well have said everything is "yuge."

I think it depends on how close together they are. I try to be careful of that, too, but thousand words could give you enough room that it might not feel repetitive.  
Wolff1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wolff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:50pm
There are so many ways to mess up a final draft, no doubt. I've been kicking myself all morning after realizing that my attempted simile involving a soccer player taking a dive lacked an important word: "nearly" (being tripped). If the soccer player was actually tripped, falling down would be reasonable. Arg.
"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic38553_post407202.html#407202
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by FerretKittyMom FerretKittyMom wrote:

Procrastinated because I didn't like my genre (political satire) so didn't have time for Beta before I submitted it lol
I WISH I had time to show drafts to beta readers. I did once when I did the short story contest, but for flash? The turn-around time just makes the logistics of it difficult. I have a hard time getting beta readers to actually give feedback on anything, let alone on a deadline! I don't know how y'all do it.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I used 'you know' twice in the same sentence. I'm hopign they think he's just being endearingly awkward.

I'm sure they will, y'know?
shady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:58pm
After a frustrating - and super busy! - day and a half, I scraped my story. The second one I wrote while working and had two hours to give my daughter attention, tighten up the story, add a foreshadowing scene, quick review and submit - with a minute to spare! The second one is a much better story but I didn't revise it much. I described incidental characters but not the supporting characters.   
shady
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Maximum Dynamite Maximum Dynamite wrote:

Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

A beta reader caught me calling the main character by another’s name, after I submitted.  Thankfully, I was able to re-submit!  That was quite a boner!

This was in no way, shape, or form an explicit photo, just in case anyone was worried about that...

It was just this silly comic.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:09pm

NYCm ninja advice: do not reread your story post-deadline. It will almost certainly make you angsty. I usually wash my hands of it for at least a couple of weeks...
jhenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

NYCm ninja advice: do not reread your story post-deadline. It will almost certainly make you angsty. I usually wash my hands of it for at least a couple of weeks...

Thank you, this is sound advice that I should follow. 
I learn something new with each challenge :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>