NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you botch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you botch?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:07pm
Realized I used a word wrong in my story. I'd meant to go back and revisit, but ran out of time and forgot. 

I had a wife that "tousled" her husband's hair when she was only meant to be gently rubbing her fingers through it affectionately. I just couldn't think of a more concise way to say it. Felt like an idiot after I submitted and realized I just could have said "stroked." Ugh. Oh well!
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:19pm
I feel like "tousled" still falls into the "affectionate caress" category - I don't think that's bad at all. 

Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:21pm
I just noticed in my synopsis that I swapped out the character's title for his name, but left in the article, so it says "the Davis fears..."

Welp.
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm
A beta reader caught me calling the main character by another’s name, after I submitted.  Thankfully, I was able to re-submit!  That was quite a boner!
Maximum Dynamite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

I feel like "tousled" still falls into the "affectionate caress" category - I don't think that's bad at all.

Well, phew, then. To me it always implied a more vigorous rub, like something you'd do to a kid or someone you were teasing. That meaning didn't fit the moment to me. But if "tousle" can be broader than that, that's a relief! 

I'm sure anyone else who reads my story will be going, "really? THAT'S what was bothering you about your story?" I have other concerns, too...that was just the easiest to describe. :)

NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:35pm
I changed a sentence from passive to active voice in my revision process. I didn't read it through a second time and it just makes the whole section sound off. I'm sure there's a sentence structure reason for it that I don't know the name of.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Reasonably_Crazy Reasonably_Crazy wrote:

I just noticed in my synopsis that I swapped out the character's title for his name, but left in the article, so it says "the Davis fears..."

Welp.
He's just such a profound figure, that's what they call him. There are no other Davises before him.

The Davis abides...
ihavenoprocess View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ihavenoprocess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:39pm
I used the word "immense" twice to describe different things. I guess everything in my story will just be "immense" - so frustrating that I can't change it! Might as well have said everything is "yuge."
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:41pm
Procrastinated because I didn't like my genre (political satire) so didn't have time for Beta before I submitted it lol
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

A beta reader caught me calling the main character by another’s name, after I submitted.  Thankfully, I was able to re-submit!  That was quite a boner!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>