NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Author Archive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

Microfiction 250 2020

R1 - Efforts - 4th

MF250 2020 was my first challenge!  It's hard to believe it's only been a year.  And I would have guessed that you had been doing this for a LOT longer.  Smile
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:49am
What a great idea. I’m going to try and dig around the archives. Might take a while.
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:20am
The reason we post our stories in a sub forum is because only people who are members of the NYCM group can see them there.  However, in this lower forum just about anyone can see what we write -- that is why you never post your stories in the lower part of the forum, only the sub forum above. 

By putting them where you have them now, you have essentially published them.  At least, by most publisher's concept of publishing you have.  

I'm only telling you this to be helpful.  You don't want someone who isn't a regular/real member popping in and taking off with your stories.  You could argue that because you used them in this contest that you have proof they are yours, but do you really want to go through all that?  

If you want to share them like this, why not have some locked posts and share them with each other?  

If you doubt what I'm saying, why not log out and see whether you can get into the sub forum (the part where people post their stories) without being logged in? I think you'll find that you can get into this part of the forum (anyone can) but not the story part.  That's why you only post the personal info there.  

Edited by sootfoot5 - 14 Sep 2021 at 2:25am
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:26am
@sootfoot5 That's only true if people are linking direct to their stories. If they are linking to their posts in the review forums, then non-members won't be able to access them. 
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:30am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

The reason we post our stories in a sub forum is because only people who are members of the NYCM group can see them there.  However, in this lower forum just about anyone can see what we write -- that is why you never post your stories in the lower part of the forum, only the sub forum above. 

By putting them where you have them now, you have essentially published them.  At least, by most publisher's concept of publishing you have.  

I'm only telling you this to be helpful.  You don't want someone who isn't a regular/real member popping in and taking off with your stories.  You could argue that because you used them in this contest that you have proof they are yours, but do you really want to go through all that?  

If you want to share them like this, why not have some locked posts and share them with each other?  

Thanks for pointing out the possible risks there! I was stressed for a sec haha.

Luckily I think we're safe - I just logged out as a test and although anyone can see this thread, the stories themselves are still within their private forums so cannot be accessed without an account (it prompts you to login if you click on any of the links). So in the end it's still just as safe as linking a story in your signature :)

This thread means titles/placements are public but since most of those are already public either in the official results page or the Title/Synopsis threads, I wouldn't worry.

Edited by ZoeLou - 14 Sep 2021 at 2:31am
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:56am

NYCM record for jimiflan2 (whatever happened to jimiflan1?) (most of the old links to stories dont work anymore, i will googledoc them all in the forum posts when i get some more time)

It started in a time, distant, barely remembered… 

Short Story 2009

R1 “For a Good Cause”  (HistFic/ prison cell)

Tweet me a story contest 2009

“Punch”

CWC Short Story 2009

R1 “Carbon Dreaming” (Horror / trunk / candle)

R2 “Let’s Play”    (Horror/ice cream van / frisbee)

R3 “Learning the Ropes” (PolSat / Perfume / Hamburger)

Screenplay 2009

R1 “Torn in Two”  (Drama / postcard)

Tweet me a story contest 2010

“Stop” 

Short Story 2010

R1 “When there’s something strange” (Ghost story / piano)

… and then some time passes, a pandemic hits...and then:

MFC100 2020

R1 “Waiting for Bardot”  (comedy / looking through trash / artificial)

Flash Fiction Challenge 2020

R1 “The Conscientious Acceptor” (Historical Fiction | A Cabin | a baby carriage)

R2 “Ketch Me If You Can” (RomCom / a desert / a nail)

R3 “If You Dance With The Rebel” (Drama / A luxury Hotel / a frankfurter)

MFC250 2020

R1 “Ghosts are Where You See Them” ( Ghost story / mixing a drink / install)

R2 “To The Artist’s Horror” (Horror / taking a selfie / same)

Final “The Animals in Zoe Zepplin” (Open / releasing an animal from a trap /sense)

MFC100 2021

R1 “Semi-Automatic” (Horror / Shuffling cards / wind)

R2 “In You End, Oh!” (Romcom / trying something new / manage )

SSC 2021

R1 “Dive Right In” (Comedy / a deadlock / a lifeguard)

R2 “The Long and the Short of it” (Mystery / Pristine / A housekeeper)

FFC 2021

R1 “The Highest Honour” (Drama / A cruise ship / a medal)

R2 “Any Given Sundae” (PolSat / a promenade / a sundae)

R3 "Sustainable" (Fantasy/ a factory farm / a chisel)

MFC250 2021

R1 "How the Girls got their Curls" (Ghost story / curling hair / here)

SSC 2022

R1 "The Sins of the Father" (SciFi / a show window / a genealogist)

R2 "The Perfect Imperfection" (Comedy / perfection / a stick-in-the-mud)

FFC 2022

R1 "Profiteroles and Finger Rolls" (Comedy / bake-off / a helmet)

R2 "How it went down" (Crime Caper / a private beach / a bow-tie)

R3 "Cyril the Berkshire Black" (Romcom / a pig farm / an ice pack)

Rhyme 2022

R1 "Man and Mountain" (Action Adventure / conquest / numb)

MFC250

R1 "The Safest Place in the World" (Suspense / looking in a doghouse / split)

SSC 2023

R1 "Trading Senses" (Horror / inventory / a costumer)

R2 “Unionize” (Ghost story / Insomnia / an everywoman) 4th

R3 “Murder in the Habitable Zone” (Suspense / five-star / a coroner)

Final "Of Hands and More Besides" (Open / Burned-Out / a palmist)

FFC 2023

R1 "The Cocktail Game" (Suspense / a cafe / a cocktail)

R2 "Stuck on You" (Romcom/ a coffee shop / glue)

MFC100 2023

R1 "Cappuccinos are a drink best served cold" (Suspense / brewing coffee / worn)

SSC 2024

R1 "Honey, Welcome Back Home" (Romance / lost in the mail / a backpacker)

Edited by jimiflan2 - 30 Jan 2024 at 12:39pm
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

@sootfoot5 That's only true if people are linking direct to their stories. If they are linking to their posts in the review forums, then non-members won't be able to access them. 

Just be safe.  I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to any of you. 
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:46am

and FYI - sootfoot5 - when i was trolling through the archives i saw that you were also posting here as long back as 2009 when i first started. i found a few of your nice comments on my early stories ;) it also made me wonder what happened to sootfoot1 to 4?
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by jimiflan2 jimiflan2 wrote:

and FYI - sootfoot5 - when i was trolling through the archives i saw that you were also posting here as long back as 2009 when i first started. i found a few of your nice comments on my early stories ;) it also made me wonder what happened to sootfoot1 to 4?

I thought you looked familiar! 

We don't talk about "them." but between you and me, they were "written out." 

Maximum Dynamite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:43am
In researching whether or not I want to do this (I don't), I found no less than 3 stories I had absolutely no memory of having written, including one I STILL don't remember even after reading it. I am baffled. Definitely early-onset dementia. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>