NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Word Count

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:01pm
Every time I this thread title I feel like it's a medical condition, like a hematological disorder, or a reason to visit the fertility clinic.
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:50pm
My challenge #2 flash fiction story that I submitted with two minutes to spare Sunday night is only 550 words. I had to write political satire and spent Saturday and most of Sunday completely uninspired and resigned to the fact that I wouldn't submit. I decided to give it a go at 9 p.m. and was pleased that at the very least I did submit a story. I know the judges will say that the ending is too abrupt because it is, but when you only have minutes to spare you just have to live with abrupt.

A couple of years ago I submitted a 420 word flash fiction story that I had to write while attending a weekend writers' conference. I wrote on my phone during the two short breaks we were given. I decided it wasn't worth submitting. I then drove 6 hours to get home. I walked in my front door ten minutes from the contest deadline and decided to submit. The story earned 7 points in 9th place.

Edited by Pajamas All Day - 14 Sep 2021 at 12:37am
CreativeByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CreativeByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Every time I this thread title I feel like it's a medical condition, like a hematological disorder, or a reason to visit the fertility clinic.

Haha!!! This made me laugh so hard, my cat fell off the sofa. And I don’t have a cat. ;-)
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:32am
In 2019, my ch2 story was under 900 words and I got 15 points. And this weekend was 938. :-)

Out of 15 challenges so far in Flash, I got in 980+ 12 times. But I would never worry the judges "expect" ~1k.
And I see too often when beta'ing for others that they've told too big a story for flash. The eventual haircut tends to undermine the character building that the story relies on. 
Use the words, but don't fret about being shorter than the max. :-)
Good luck!
"Every time I think I've seen it all, a person comes along and objects to the mistreatment of rubber chickens."
Dreamfired View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreamfired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:32am
Replying to @Trond24 - I feel like I had forum skills once long ago but have forgotten them!

That feels like really good advice about story being the right size for flash.

My first year this year, spy in the first round, had an OK time with it given it is a genre I don't read as well as don't write but I feel like what I produced this time for Horror is objectively better. Discussing with people I write with and they said something very sound - this one is a story whereas that one was a scene. 

Edited by Dreamfired - 14 Sep 2021 at 9:34am
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Pajamas All Day Pajamas All Day wrote:

My challenge #2 flash fiction story that I submitted with two minutes to spare Sunday night is only 550 words. I had to write political satire and spent Saturday and most of Sunday completely uninspired and resigned to the fact that I wouldn't submit. I decided to give it a go at 9 p.m. and was pleased that at the very least I did submit a story. I know the judges will say that the ending is too abrupt because it is, but when you only have minutes to spare you just have to live with abrupt.

A couple of years ago I submitted a 420 word flash fiction story that I had to write while attending a weekend writers' conference. I wrote on my phone during the two short breaks we were given. I decided it wasn't worth submitting. I then drove 6 hours to get home. I walked in my front door ten minutes from the contest deadline and decided to submit. The story earned 7 points in 9th place.

I also got political satire (group 25). I got an idea for it fairly quickly, but had zero motivation to actually write it. I dislike anything to do with politics! I forced myself to start it anyways, started about 2 hours after assignments came out. I wrote about 68 words and was like "eff this" lol. Sometime Saturday evening I added 20 more. I finally finished it Sunday around 1 pm. Just before I went to bed (night shift worker) I had thought about giving up and not submitting. I'm glad I pushed through and did it though!
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:56pm

I also got political satire (group 25). I got an idea for it fairly quickly, but had zero motivation to actually write it. I dislike anything to do with politics! I forced myself to start it anyways, started about 2 hours after assignments came out. I wrote about 68 words and was like "eff this" lol. Sometime Saturday evening I added 20 more. I finally finished it Sunday around 1 pm. Just before I went to bed (night shift worker) I had thought about giving up and not submitting. I'm glad I pushed through and did it though!
[/QUOTE]

Am I you or are you me? We sound the same including the bit about not liking anything political. I'd like to read your story so I hope you post it when we get the all clear. I'm in group 86. In our first challenge only one other person, besides me, posted their story and I was so disappointed because I love reading what others do with the same prompts I was given. Best of luck to us both.
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Will703 Will703 wrote:

I know there is no minimum word count, but I typically try to get as close to 1,000 (or whatever the maximum is) as possible. My friend entered with me this time, and she submitted her story in the 880s. It's a full story, and I like the ending, but she was up against the clock and got it in with 2 minutes to spare. Do you think the judges look down on leaving so much opportunity on the table?

Hmm. I would like to know how she makes out. I always have judges telling me I should have added this or that. I'm thinking...are you kidding? My story is 999 words. Yeah, I would have loved to have more development here or there but I am at 999 words. 

Sheesh!
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Will703 Will703 wrote:

I know there is no minimum word count, but I typically try to get as close to 1,000 (or whatever the maximum is) as possible. My friend entered with me this time, and she submitted her story in the 880s. It's a full story, and I like the ending, but she was up against the clock and got it in with 2 minutes to spare. Do you think the judges look down on leaving so much opportunity on the table?

BTW, low word count is a very funny topic for a post. Kudos on that one. Low word count. Hahahahaha.
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Pajamas All Day Pajamas All Day wrote:

Am I you or are you me? We sound the same including the bit about not liking anything political. I'd like to read your story so I hope you post it when we get the all clear. I'm in group 86. In our first challenge only one other person, besides me, posted their story and I was so disappointed because I love reading what others do with the same prompts I was given. Best of luck to us both.

I will be posting mine as soon as we can. Last round only 4 or 5 other people posted in my group.  I also like seeing what other people do with the prompts. And it's nice when the results come out to know the stories that place. (Either to go "that was a good story, they deserve it" or "WTF were they thinking placing that?" LOL) I am looking forward to reading your story, and will go read your round one as soon as I have a chance.  Good luck on the judging!
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>