NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC2 Post Submission Bar!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by AllyW AllyW wrote:

Congrats to everyone who submitted! 

Can someone possibly provide some reassurance  that a 'control room' can also be the place where security guards watch surveillance videos? I found the term used this way on the British Museum's hiring page, but wiki doesn't use this as an example. Confused

I was feeling ok about my piece until this little whisper of doubt wriggled it's way into my mind, which is usually paranoia, but I was wondering if it's a real concern this time. Thanks in advance!! Smile

From the interwebs...
Control rooms sits at the heart of a security installation, bringing together video surveillance, access control and fire control into one room. It serves as a central space where a large physical facility or physically dispersed service can be monitored and controlled by security guards.
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:10pm
In my utter terror of getting political satire, I'd forgotten that spy was another genre I never read, watch or have an interest in... so guess what I got. 

Hoping my dumpy middle-aged lady spy finds some sympathy with the judges.
KOLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KOLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:11pm
I totally had ice cream for dinner because I wasn't feeling like a real meal.

I'm quite pleased with my entry. I was much more excited about the Horror genre this time around and hearkened a bit back to my college days when I would be in the computer lab late at night. Thankfully, I never suffered the horror that my character did.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:18pm
Absinthe might work for me right now. Confused
Beware of what you wish for. Kept hoping for horror since that's what has done best for me outside of competition but then I get horror and freeze up from the pressure, lol.

I like my story okay but not sure if it's horror or just a recounting of a horrible situation. I'm confused and will never look at the genre the same. I like the little dude in my story, he's very sweet and that doesn't bode well for my genre. Argh.

My only real success here was my very first submission in a format that I'd never done before. I just don't know what to think anymore but thank god for betas! Thanks!

Big congrats to everyone who submitted and You got this! for those about to submit!
dashesndots2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dashesndots2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:25pm
Done, finally.
Agonized over a dumb idea Saturday, completely scrapped that and churned out a much better story today.  I took a lot of risks (for me) with this one - second-person perspective, didn't particularly stick too close to my assigned genre (Fairy Tale).  Have a feeling I may get DQ'd for not having the object proper in my story -- I use the word in a more metaphorical sense, to a similar effect that the object itself would produce. But the object would have been anachronistic in my story, so...oh well.  I honestly don't care - happy with what I did and if it costs me points, so be it!

Congrats to all who have submitted!  Good luck to those still working - you can do it!
lnLala View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lnLala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:34pm
Spent yesterday drafting the bones of a decent crime caper, but the ending was *meh*. Had to spend most of today doing for-my-day-job work, so I wasn't sure I would get it fixed in time. Thanks to some fantastic betas, I was able to come up with a better (I think) ending and get it submitted with about an hour to spare!

Just water for me now, but I did get some fantastic Andes mint ice cream earlier, so it's all good. :)
FF23 Ch3 Gr13 Confession (thriller)
Rita View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:46pm
Submitted practically last minute. It's my first time writing a mystery and what a challenge! 

I ended up with a story about seventh graders, written for middle school kids. I think the judges will realize that the story isn't written for adults but is it okay to do that? I never thought to ask, until now.

Edited by Rita - 12 Sep 2021 at 11:50pm
Writing in Progress
Log_Lady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Log_Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:47pm
I've never submitted this late. Blame the US Open finals + boozy brunch + my magna-cum-laude degree in procrastination or just the fact that I've never written spy before and kept thinking "don't force it, it will come"...except it never did. 

Ayayay, this one was painful, but it's done. At least Federer's grand slam record wasn't broken today so I have something to smile about tomorrow. 

Good luck to all. 

taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by surnica surnica wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Submitted! I feel like I earned enough NYCM karma from absurd prompts like histfic / a cement plant / a massage table and suspense/thriller / eating marshmallows (in 250 words, btw) to finally get the best NYCM prompt I've ever had

Comedy / fairgrounds / a pigeon

That was crazy stupid fun and thank you to whatever RNG god gifted my group with that combo. I'm going to start putting pigeons in everything now. Coo coo ;3

So excited to read this! 

Aw, thanks friend! Can't wait to read yours <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
HelenT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:55pm
Submitted and resubmitted. 
The joy of editing process is yet to visit me. What a torture to mold 2000 words into a 1000! 
I like my story but the editing took away some flare. 
So far mostly all of my challenges are in the realm of action/adventure. Fun to write-a pain to edit. 
Congrats on submitting and good luck with the judges! Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>