NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else still staring at a blank page?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:33am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

My people!

I have not one but two uni assignments due tonight so I haven't managed to get more than a few lines down yet. Luckily one essay is done and submitted now and I think I've come to terms that the other one will have to be late... oops.

I have hist fic which I've been hanging out for and had two ideas almost instantly, but had to drop my favourite of the two given that my object prompt wouldn't have been invented yet. And now the more I brainstorm my second idea the more I realise it's veeeery similar to two stories I wrote for flash last year, just from a different perspective... so I'm overthinking whether or not I should scrap it and start over with something different. *insert facepalm emoji here*

Haha, yes, there's always inevitably a thread like this for each competition (probably started be me most often, lol) and it's always comforting to find people in the same boat as you. You've really got a rough weekend if you have class assignments to get done as well - Yikes! Good luck getting it all done, and thanks for commenting and offering some support. Smile
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:37am
Originally posted by ElleBee ElleBee wrote:

Ugh, before every round I always tell myself that *this* time is going to be *the* time I'll have something done in time to get beta'd. I should just stop doing that because I know full well that I'll wind up where I am now...under 24 hours to deadline with only an outline, staring another under-the-wire submission square in the face.

Glad to know I'm not the only one :-) We can do it!!

Not only are you not the only one but I think we might have been separated at birth, LOLLOLLOL What you described is literally what I go through every single time as well. I always make these big plans to just pick an idea right away and not agonize over it. Just start writing something immediately and then worry about fixing it up the rest of the weekend. Yah, that never happens because I never have a fully formed idea and then I second guess what I do have and start thinking it's not good enough. The last competition I was literally turning my story in with three minutes left to spare on the clock, Shocked. Good luck to you on getting yours done. We can definitely do it, and we will!
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:03am
Last night I was trying to write with one eye on the tennis. It's hard to type and bite your nails at the same time...
Upshot: 200 words at the end of day one, most of which I deleted this morning.

Edited by theinquisitor - 12 Sep 2021 at 4:05am
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:54am
Originally posted by TelepathicTeaTime TelepathicTeaTime wrote:

I've been struggling to finish my first draft following a very busy 3-11 shift at my hotel. I was making some progress but then some random couple decided to have a very dramatic and emotional (and LOUD) break up in the middle of the street (for some reason??? like dead center of the road which is only one way so very dangerous???) right outside my house so of course my nosy-ass had to turn out the lights and sit at the open window and eavesdrop on the whole thing and shiiiiit it was WILD

No physical violence thank god, but it was like something out of a bad Lifetime movie with all the wailing and dropping to their knees and like, starting to walk away but then running back to hug each other?? It would've been great footage for a music video if it was all slowed down and maybe with some added rain effects lol 

I wish them both the best, but I don't think they'll find it with each other after all that ðŸ˜¬

OH MY GOD! This just put the biggest smile on my face and had me dying laughing, LOL I would have been eavesdropping at the window as well, haha. Maybe you should write up the whole ordeal as your FF submission because now I really want a play by play of what the fight/breakup was about and why in the world did they run back to hug each other if they were breaking up? LOLLOLLOL

I'm glad there was no violence - That would have soured the whole thing for us observers lol.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:57am
Thanks so much everyone for the comments! It's nice to know I'm not alone in my struggles. Good luck to all of you on completing your stories. Can't wait to read them all next week!
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:08am
2am local time. Guess I should get started.
RadBadOrJustSad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RadBadOrJustSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:57am
9 am Sunday.

Word Count - zero

Ideas Count - zero. Well that's not entirely true. I get vague whispers of ideas that I then reject for being unoriginal slop that deserves nothing but scorn.

I can't tell you how annoyed at myself I am. I placed 5th in the first round. So it feels like I'm in a prime position. Not to mention I got a category (horror) I was sure I could work in.

I can't tell if its self destructive, where the pressure has me blocking myself. This is also my first time doing NYCM when I have kids home, and handling their needs naturally takes away my time. They're going with their mother soon, but that really only gives me 2 - 3 hours. 

I know it's not the end of the world. But I really can't help but feel like its all...  slipping away, from a position I should be feeling really good about.
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by RadBadOrJustSad RadBadOrJustSad wrote:

9 am Sunday.

Word Count - zero

Ideas Count - zero. Well that's not entirely true. I get vague whispers of ideas that I then reject for being unoriginal slop that deserves nothing but scorn.

I can't tell you how annoyed at myself I am. I placed 5th in the first round. So it feels like I'm in a prime position. Not to mention I got a category (horror) I was sure I could work in.

I can't tell if its self destructive, where the pressure has me blocking myself. This is also my first time doing NYCM when I have kids home, and handling their needs naturally takes away my time. They're going with their mother soon, but that really only gives me 2 - 3 hours. 

I know it's not the end of the world. But I really can't help but feel like its all...  slipping away, from a position I should be feeling really good about.

What are your prompts, mate? Maybe you could brainstorm here? :)
Dramaqueenjs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dramaqueenjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:43am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

I love the competitions but why must I struggle so much every. Single. Time!?!? 😩 I got fairy tale this time and I really don’t like that genre so it’s a huge struggle. I also got a fountain as my location so not sure what I can do that would primarily take place at a fountain! I’m just a mess over here so figured I’d procrastinate a bit and see how everyone else is doing...?

I also got "fairy tale" but with an uninhabited island and butter... I stared at a page for hours, wrote a draft. Hate the draft. 
Starting over. 
RadBadOrJustSad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RadBadOrJustSad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

What are your prompts, mate? Maybe you could brainstorm here? :)

Appreciate the kind offer.

Horror / an institute / a newspaper clipping 

The obvious setting is obvious, I guess. Like I said - my issue has been that I have nothing striking me that doesn't feel like fanfic of content that's already been done before. :-/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>